|Founded||March 12, 2006|
|Headquarters||Amsterdam, The Netherlands|
|Slogan(s)||Log on and get off!|
|Alexa rank||912 (June 2014[update])|
|Type of site||Pornographic video sharing|
Xtube is a Netherlands-based pornographic video hosting service which was established in 2006, and is notable for being the first site to allow users to upload and share adult videos. Xtube is not a producer of pornography, instead it provides a platform for content uploaded by users.
Xtube is owned by MindGeek, having been acquired by the founder of MindGeek Fabian Thylmann prior to 2010, and is part of the Pornhub NETWORK, which is a group of interlinked Web 2.0 pornographic video sharing websites all owned by MindGeek.
Xtube generates revenues partly through advertising and partly through sharing revenue with amateur performers who sell their material on the site. It provides a micro-payment platform enabling amateur producers to receive 50% of the net profit for the sale of their work.
The site allows users to interact through comments, and material on the site is organized using user generated tags. Registration is optional, and some content can be accessed free of charge without requiring registration.
- Wallace, Benjamin (30 January 2011). "The Geek-Kings of Smut". New York Magazine. p. 5. Archived from the original on 10 October 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- Pardon, Rhett (7 August 2013). "Manwin Appeals Trademark Examiner's Decision Over XTube". Archived from the original on 26 August 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2014.
- "xtube.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-06-22.
- Schram, Jamie; Fredericks, Bob (9 September 2014). "NBC producer busted for posting secret sex tapes to porn site". New York Post. Archived from the original on 24 October 2014. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- Attwood, Feona (2010). Porn.com: Making Sense of Online Pornography. Peter Lang Publishing Inc. p. 71. ISBN 9781433102073.
- Halpert, David (30 August 2008). "How Xtube Ruined Me for Playboy". XBIZ. Archived from the original on 20 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Lynn, Jett (12 April 2008). "The Deal with User-Generated Content". XBIZ. Archived from the original on 4 November 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "NBC News producer charged with unlawful surveillance for making secret sex tape, posting it to porn site". Fox News. 10 September 2014. Archived from the original on 12 September 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.