xv6 startup, and using the "ls" command
|Source model||Open source|
|Latest release||rev8 / August 29, 2014|
|Platforms||multiprocessor Intel x86|
|Default user interface||Command-line interface|
Unlike Linux or BSD, xv6 is simple enough to cover in a semester, yet still contains the important concepts and organization of Unix. Rather than study the original V6 code, the course uses xv6 since PDP-11 machines are not widely available and the original operating system was written in archaic pre-ANSI C.
One intriguing feature of the Makefile for xv6 is the option to produce a PDF of the entire source code listing in a readable format. The entire printout is only 97 pages, including cross references. This is reminiscent of the original V6 source code, which was published in a similar form in Lions' Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code.
xv6 has also been used in operating systems courses at Rutgers University, Northeastern University, Yale University, Columbia University, Ben-Gurion University, Johns Hopkins University, Tsinghua University, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the University of Utah, , IIT Madras in India and the Linnaeus University in Sweden.
- "Xv6, a simple Unix-like teaching operating system". Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "xv6 source listing" (pdf). Retrieved 2014-09-22.
- "01:198:416: Operating Systems Design". Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "CS 3650: Computer Systems, Fall 2014". Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- "CS422/522: Operating Systems, Spring 2010 — Overview". Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "COMS W4118: Operating Systems I, Fall 2013". Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Operating Systems - 2012/Spring - Main". Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "600.318/418: Operating Systems". Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- "FrontPage - OS Teaching Wiki". Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "CS-537: Introduction to Operating Systems". Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "CS 6460: Operating Systems". Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "Embedded in Academia : Xv6". Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "1DV201: Operating system". Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- xv6 Home page
- git://pdos.csail.mit.edu/xv6/xv6.git Source code for xv6
- Printable version of the xv6 source code, rev8.
- xv6: a simple, Unix-like teaching operating system., xv6 book rev8.
- Operating Systems Engineering (6.828)
- xv6 armv7 porting