xv6 startup, and using the "ls" command
|Company / developer||MIT|
|Source model||Free Software / Open source|
|Latest release||rev7 / August 28, 2012|
|Supported platforms||multiprocessor Intel x86|
|Default user interface||Command-line interface|
Unlike Linux or BSD, xv6 is simple enough to cover in a semester, yet still contains the important concepts and organization of Unix. Rather than study the original V6 code, the course uses xv6 since PDP-11 machines are not widely available and the original operating system was written in archaic pre-ANSI C.
One intriguing feature of the Makefile for xv6 is the option to produce a PDF of the entire source code listing in a readable format. The entire printout is only 92 pages, including cross references. This is reminiscent of the original V6 source code, which was published in a similar form in Lions' Commentary on UNIX 6th Edition, with Source Code.
xv6 has also been used in operating systems courses at Rutgers University, Yale University, Columbia University, Ben-Gurion University, Johns Hopkins University, Tsinghua University, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, the University of Utah,  and the Linnaeus University in Sweden.
- "Xv6, a simple Unix-like teaching operating system". Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "xv6 source listing" (pdf). Retrieved 2011-10-15.
- "01:198:416: Operating Systems Design". Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "CS422/522: Operating Systems, Spring 2010 — Overview". Retrieved 2010-02-05.
- "COMS W4118: Operating Systems I, Fall 2013". Retrieved 2013-09-09.
- "Operating Systems - 2012/Spring - Main". Retrieved 2012-03-26.
- "600.318/418: Operating Systems". Retrieved 2010-02-28.
- "FrontPage - OS Teaching Wiki". Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- "CS-537: Introduction to Operating Systems". Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- "CS 6460: Operating Systems". Retrieved 2014-01-20.
- "Embedded in Academia : Xv6". Retrieved 2014-04-08.
- "1DV201: Operating system". Retrieved 2013-03-14.
- xv6 Home page
- git://pdos.csail.mit.edu/xv6/xv6.git Source code for xv6
- Printable version of the xv6 source code, rev7.
- xv6: a simple, Unix-like teaching operating system., xv6 book rev7.
- Operating Systems Engineering (6.828)
- xv6 armv7 porting