xxxHolic: A Midsummer Night's Dream
|xxxHolic: A Midsummer Night's Dream|
North American DVD cover
|Directed by||Tsutomu Mizushima|
|Screenplay by||Jun'ichi Fujisaku
|Story by||Tsutomu Mizushima|
|Music by||Tsuneyoshi Saito|
|Edited by||Taeko Hamauzu|
|Running time||60 minutes|
xxxHolic: A Midsummer Night's Dream (劇場版 ×××HOLiC 真夏ノ夜ノ夢 Gekijōban Horikku: Manatsu no Yo no Yume?) is an hour-long anime film by Production I.G based on the Young Magazine comic xxxHolic by Clamp, though it is an original story set within that of the comic rather than an adaptation of any part of it. It opened in Japan on 20 July 2005 as the A movie of a double bill with the Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle film Tsubasa Chronicle: The Princess of the Birdcage Kingdom, also by Production I.G (unlike the Tsubasa Chronicle television series) and originally based on a Clamp comic. The film is the first motion picture and the first voiced work based on the comic.
A woman comes to Yūko to ask for assistance because her key won't unlock her mansion. Later, Yūko receives an invitation to the mansion. Yūko sends Watanuki and Dōmeki along with her to the mansion. They aren't the only people there. Many collectors were invited. When collectors start disappearing, Watanuki starts to suspect that something supernatural is happening.
DVD and Blu-ray Disc release
The film was licensed by Funimation Entertainment in North America and released alongside the forty minute anime film Tsubasa The Movie: The Princess in the Birdcage Kingdom. It was released with both Japanese and English. The Blu-ray has full 1080p high definition and AVC encoding. The audio is Dolby TrueHD with a 5.1 track for the English dub and a 2.0 track for the original Japanese version. The special features are some trailers, a recording montage, character artwork, background designs, and some video footage of the film's opening release in Japan. The back of the Tsubasa movie/xxxHolic movie combo DVD and Blu-ray Disc claims that it has over two hours of bonus features. There is a commentary from the original Japanese actors, actresses, and other staff.
N.S. Davidson of IGN said that the film is very original, clever, and long enough to get things accomplished. Todd Douglass Jr. of DVD Talk said that the film feels like an extended episode, but that it has better animation and a better story. The film was selected for the 2006 Annecy International Animated Film Festival alongside the films Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Renaissance, Asterix and the Vikings, and Origin: Spirits of the Past. The film is included in the book Magic as Metaphor in Anime: A critical study by Dani Cavallaro.
- "Sakuhin shōsai". Production I.G. 1996–2008. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- "Gekijōban ×××HOLiC: Manatsu no Yo no Yume trailer". YouTube. 6 December 2008. Retrieved 9 October 2010.
- Douglas Jr., Todd (2010-05-04). "Clamp Double Feature: Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and xxxHOLiC (Blu-ray)". DVD Talk. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Davidson, N.S. (2008-03-17). "Clamp Double Feature: Tsubasa Chronicle and xxxHOLiC DVD Review". IGN. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Ball, Ryan (2006-03-24). "Annecy Selection Unveiled". Animation Magazine. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- Cavallaro, Dani (2010). Magic as Metaphor in Anime: A critical study. McFarland. ISBN 978-0-7864-4744-2. Retrieved 2010-09-28.
- xxxHOLiC: A Midsummer Night's Dream at Production I.G
- XxxHolic: A Midsummer Night's Dream (film) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia