Causes and contributing factors
Most phobias start through an incident or memory in childhood, and hylophobia is no different.
Phobias such as hylophobia are usually treated by putting the patient in therapy and making them recall the incident in question, and making them see it from an adult perspective. This is often a hard task, as the original incident will have been forgotten, and hypnosis or anti-anxiety medicine may have to be used.
In popular culture
- In the BBC T.V. show New Tricks, one character, Gerry Standing, admits to suffering from hylophobia on Series 2 Episode 8.
- In the The Simpsons Episode 21 of Season 20 , "Coming to Homerica", Lisa mistakenly says it is the fear of xylophones.
- In "Uncle Grandpa", Hot Dog Person stated that he was afraid of trees but when he climbed a telephone post which he thought of as a tree, he conquered his fear.
- John G. Robertson, An Excess of Phobias and Manias: A Compilation of Anxieties, Obsessions, and Compulsions That Push Many Over the Edge of Sanity, Senior Scribe Publications (January 2003), p.103
- Hylo, Latin-Greek Cross references, Robertson’s Words for a Modern Age, Senior Scribe Publications, 2003, retrieved 07-11-2009
- Phobo-, Latin-Greek Cross references, Robertson’s Words for a Modern Age, Senior Scribe Publications, 2003, retrieved 07-11-2009
- Anxiety, Fears and Phobias, from the Nemours Foundation
|This psychology-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|