YG (left) and Snoop Dogg in 2011.
|Birth name||Keenon Daequan Ray Jackson|
March 9, 1990 |
|Genres||West Coast hip hop|
|Labels||Pushaz Ink., CTE World, Def Jam|
|Associated acts||DJ Mustard, Nipsey Hussle, Ty Dolla Sign, Young Jeezy|
Keenon Daequan Ray Jackson (born March 9, 1990), is an American rapper better known by his stage name YG (short for Young Gangsta). He was signed to Def Jam in 2009 and released his first single titled "Toot It and Boot It", featuring Ty Dolla Sign, which peaked at number 67 on the Billboard Hot 100, in 2010. His 2013 single "My Nigga" featuring Young Jeezy and Rich Homie Quan has peaked at number 19 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the biggest hit of his career. His debut studio album My Krazy Life is scheduled to be released on March 18, 2014, by Pu$haz Ink, CTE World and Def Jam.
- 1 Music career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 Other ventures
- 4 Discography
- 5 Guest appearances
- 6 Filmography
- 7 References
YG created the Pu$haz Ink record label and group with DJ Mustard in 2008. After releasing several songs that garnered him a large following on the internet, such as "She A Model" and "Aim Me" YG signed to Def Jam in 2009. However, just as he was getting his buzz up in mid-2009, he was arrested on a parole violation, stemming from a previous charge of residential burglary. Following that, he worked on mixtapes, touring and running his 4Hunnid brand clothing line. "Toot It and Boot It" featuring LA-based singer Ty Dolla Sign was released in 2010, and became both of their breakout hit. He was also featured in XXL's 2011 Freshmen Class. Beginning with YG's mixtape The Real 4 Fingaz, DJ Mustard begun significantly producing on YG's projects. Their work together resulted in songs such as "I'm Good", "Bitches Ain't Shit" featuring Tyga and Nipsey Hussle and "You Broke" again featuring Nipsey Hussle. The singles were met with moderate success, but not near as much as his debut single.
2012–2013: Signing with CTE World
In 2012, he announced his debut album, then titled I'm 4rm Bompton, would be executively produced by rapper Young Jeezy. Later in June 2013, he revealed that Jeezy's record label CTE World would release the album. He was featured on Yo Gotti's "Act Right" also featuring Jeezy. It peaked at number 100 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at number 24 on the Rap Songs chart. He was then prominently featured on the CTE World mixtape, Boss Yo Life Up Gang in August 2013.
2013–present: My Krazy Life
On September 4, 2013, YG revealed that his debut album would be released on November 19, 2013 via Def Jam Recordings and that he has changed the album title to My Krazy Life. He also revealed that Drake would be featured on a song titled "Who You Love", produced by DJ Mustard. Shortly thereafter he released the album's lead single "My Nigga" featuring Rich Homie Quan and Jeezy, also produced by DJ Mustard. The song has since peaked at number 19 on the US Billboard Hot 100. On December 10, 2013, YG released the DJ Mustard-produced "Left, Right" as the album's second single. The following day, Def Jam announced that My Krazy Life would be released on March 18, 2014 and that "Who Do You Love" featuring Drake would be the album's next single. On February 18th, 2014, YG revealed the cover artwork for his debut album My Krazy Life. The artwork features YG posing for a mugshot, with his name and album title detailed in the placard around his neck.
YG is a member of the Compton-based Westside Tree Top Piru Bloods gang. On January 25, 2012, shots were fired during the filming of YG's music video "I'm a Thug." The police shut down and closed the set.
|Founder||Keenon "YG" Jackson (CEO)
Dijon "DJ Mustard" McFarlane (President)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Los Angeles, California|
YG founded his record label Pu$haz Ink in 2008 with DJ/producer DJ Mustard. The label is currently running independently.
- Current artists
- YG (Pu$haz Ink/CTE World/Def Jam) (CEO)
- DJ Mustard (Pu$haz Ink/Roc Nation/Universal)
- PC (Pu$haz Ink)
- Reem Riches (Pu$haz Ink)
- TeeCee4800 (Pu$haz Ink)
- Ty Dolla Sign (Pu$haz Ink/Taylor Gang/Atlantic)
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|My Krazy Life||To be released|
|"—" denotes a title that did not chart, or was not released in that territory.|
|The Real 4Fingaz||
|Just Re'd Up||
|4 Hunnid Degreez||
|Just Re'd Up 2||
|Boss Yo Life Up Gang
(with CTE World)
|2 of America's Most Wanted
(with Nipsey Hussle)
As lead artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|"Toot It and Boot It"
(featuring Ty Dolla $ign)
|2010||67||60||12||—||—||—||The Real 4Fingaz|
|"Bitches Ain't Shit"
(featuring Tyga and Nipsey Hussle)
|2012||100||—||—||—||—||—||Just Re Up'd|
(featuring 2 Chainz and Nipsey Hussle)
|—||—||—||—||—||—||4 Hunnid Degreez|
(featuring Nipsey Hussle)
|2013||—||—||—||—||—||—||Just Re'd Up 2|
(featuring Jeezy and Rich Homie Quan)
||My Krazy Life|
(featuring DJ Mustard)
|"My Nigga" (Remix)
(featuring Lil Wayne, Rich Homie Quan, Meek Mill and Nicki Minaj)
|"Who Do You Love?"
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart.|
As featured artist
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Crush on You"
(New Boyz featuring YG)
|2011||—||—||—||Too Cool to Care|
(Ty$ featuring YG)
|—||—||—||House on the Hill|
(E-40 featuring YG, Iamsu! and Problem)
|2012||121||62||22||The Block Brochure: Welcome to the Soil 2|
|"Like I Got A Gun"
(Colette Carr featuring YG)
|"Drop It Down"
(Clyde McKnight featuring YG)
|—||—||—||Clyde McKnight... The Bachelor'|
(Yo Gotti featuring Jeezy and YG)
(Kirko Bangz featuring YG and Yo Gotti)
|2014||—||—||—||Bigger Than Me|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart.|
|"Ready For War"||2006||Jay Rock||Watts Finest, Vol. 1|
|"Making Love"||2009||Mario C||So F1lthy Boy|
|"Grapes & Optimos"||Mr. Skrillz, Reek Daddy, Sumthin Terrible, Do It Movin', Nino Da Block Controlla||Sacto 2 Da Crest|
|"In the Morning"||2010||Big Sean, Big K.R.I.T., Tydollasign||Finally Famous Vol. 3: Big|
|"Yo Bitch"||Travis Porter||Differenter 3|
|"Thas Wat Hoes Do"||Nipsey Hussle, Rimpau||The Marathon Continues|
|"Every City"||2012||Freddie Gibbs||Baby Face Killa|
|"LA Confidential"||Blanco, Nipsey Hussle||Raw|
|"Basshead"||Far East Movement||Dirty Bass|
|"Knockin"||Jeremih, E-40||Late Nights With Jeremih|
|"What They Doin'"||Kid Ink||Rocketshipshawty|
|"Just Got Word"||Young Jeezy||It's Tha World|
|"Gang Bang"||2013||Joe Moses||From Nothing To Something|
|"9 Outta 10"||Travis Porter||Mr. Porter|
|"R.I.P." (Remix)||Young Jeezy, Chris Brown, Kendrick Lamar||N/A|
|"Homie"||Funkmaster Flex, Young Jeezy||Who You Mad At? Me Or Yourself?|
|"Duck Hunt"||Blanco, The Jacka, Nipsey Hussle, Messy Marv||Game Over|
|"Bad Ass" (Remix)||Kid Ink, Problem||N/A|
|"Hella Ice"||Doughboyz Cashout||#It'sThaWorld|
|"Make a Movie"||Philthy Rich, I-Rocc, Macktown||N.E.R.N.L. 2|
|"Burn Rubber"||DJ Mustard, Joe Moses||Ketchup|
|"Take It to the Neck"||DJ Mustard, Clyde Carson|
|"Been From The Gang"||DJ Mustard, Kay Ess, Nipsey Hussle, RJ|
|"See Me Gettin' Money"||DJ Mustard, Cash Out, K. Smith|
|"Hella"||Wale, Dom Kennedy||The Gifted|
|"Act Right"||Yo Gotti, Young Jeezy||I Am|
|"Versace"||Kirko Bangz, French Montana, G-Haze||Progression III|
|"Bossin Up" (Remix)||Kid Ink, Young Jeezy||N/A|
|"Street Tides"||Young Scooter||From the Cell Block to Your Block|
|2012||We the Party||C.C.||Support role|
|Mac & Devin Go to High School||Student/Smoker||Cameo|
- "Def Jam again sets its sights on Los Angeles: Compton's Y.G. signs to the major - latimes.com". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. October 14, 2009. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- Matthew Wilkening (June 22, 2010). "YG, 'Toot It and Boot It' – New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "YG And DJ Mustard Prime For A Mainstream Hip-Hop Takeover - XXL Issue 152 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2014-01-08. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Y.G. | Artists | Def Jam". Island Def Jam. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "YG: Toot It and Boot It «". 24hourhiphop.com. January 10, 2011. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "XXL 2011 Freshmen Class | Freshman YG". Xxlmag.Com. May 25, 2009. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - You Broke (feat. Nipsey Hussle) - Single by YG". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "YG Young Jeezy CTE". Complex. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- 09/04/2013 15:33:25 (2013-09-04). "YG's Debut Gets A Name Change, Release Date And A Drake Feature - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "YG - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Em (2013-12-11). "YG – ‘Left, Right’ (Feat. DJ Mustard) (Official Version)". HipHop-N-More. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Amaya (2013-12-11). "YG's Debut Album "My Krazy Life" Set For A March 18th Release Date Def Jam". Defjam.com. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Tardio, Andres (2013-12-11). "YG "My Krazy Life" Release Date | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Title Artist. "PC (Pushaz Ink) Profile". Hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Title Artist. "TeeCee4800 Nano & Reem Riches - Mid-Town Money (Hosted by DJ Mustard)". Hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Bacher, Danielle (2013-10-03). "I Hung Out With Ty$ the Other Night. Things Got Out of Hand | West Coast Sound | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Harling, Danielle (2013-02-07). "YG To Release Joint Mixtape With Nipsey Hussle Titled "Two Of America's Most Wanted" | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "YG - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "American single certifications – YG – MY HITTA". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved December 18, 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Crush On You (Feat. YG) [Explicit]". Amazon.com. Retrieved November 26, 2011.
- "Mixtape: Travis Porter "Mr. Porter". Complex. March 5, 2013. Retrieved March 5, 2013.
- "New Music: Young Jeezy f/ Chris Brown, Kendrick Lamar, & YG – ‘R.I.P. (Remix)’". Rap-Up. Devin Lazerine. March 29, 2013. Retrieved March 29, 2013.
- "New Mixtape: Funkmaster Flex 'Who You Mad At? Me Or Yourself?'". Vibe. April 13, 2013. Retrieved April 13, 2013.
- "New Music: Kid Ink Ft. Problem x YG “Bad Ass (Remix)”". Rap Radar. 2013-05-08. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Yo Gotti f. Young Jeezy & YG - Act Right". HipHop DX. 2013-06-07. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- Steve Raze (@SteveRaze) (2013-06-24). "Kirko Bangz Ft. French Montana, YG & G-Haze “Shirt By Versace”". AllHipHop.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "Kid Ink f. Jeezy & YG - Bossin' Up Remix". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2013-08-08.