YG (left) and Snoop Dogg in 2011.
|Birth name||Keenon Daequan Ray Jackson|
March 9, 1990 |
|Genres||West Coast hip hop|
|Labels||Pushaz Ink., CTE World, Def Jam|
|Associated acts||DJ Mustard, Nipsey Hussle, Ty Dolla Sign, Young Jeezy|
Keenon Daequan Ray Jackson (born March 9, 1990), is an American rapper better known by the stage name YG (an initialism for Young Gangsta). In 2009, he released his debut single, "Toot It and Boot It", featuring Ty Dolla Sign, which peaked at number 67 on the Billboard Hot 100. The single's success resulted in him signing to Def Jam Recordings. In the following years, YG released various mixtapes such as The Real 4Fingaz and Just Re'd Up 2 among others.
In June 2013, YG signed to Young Jeezy's CTE World. His 2013 single "My Nigga" featuring Jeezy and Rich Homie Quan has peaked at number 19 on the US Billboard Hot 100, becoming the highest charting song of his career. He then released the singles "Left, Right" and "Who Do You Love?" featuring Drake leading up to the release of his debut studio album. His debut album, My Krazy Life was released on March 18, 2014, by Pu$haz Ink, CTE World and Def Jam.
YG created the Pu$haz Ink record label and group with DJ Mustard in 2008. After releasing several songs that garnered him a large following on the internet, such as "She A Model" and "Aim Me" YG signed to Def Jam in 2009. However, just as he was getting his buzz up in mid-2009, he was arrested on a parole violation, stemming from a previous charge of residential burglary. Following that, he worked on mixtapes, touring and running his 4Hunnid brand clothing line. "Toot It and Boot It" featuring LA-based singer Ty Dolla Sign was released in 2010, and became both of their breakout hit. He was also featured in XXL's 2011 Freshmen Class. Beginning with YG's mixtape The Real 4 Fingaz, DJ Mustard begun significantly producing on YG's projects. Their work together resulted in songs such as "I'm Good", "Bitches Ain't Shit" featuring Tyga and Nipsey Hussle and "You Broke" again featuring Nipsey Hussle. The singles were met with moderate success, but not near as much as his debut single.
2012–2013: Signing with CTE World
In 2012, he announced his debut album, then titled I'm 4rm Bompton, would be executively produced by rapper Young Jeezy. Later in June 2013, he revealed that Jeezy's record label CTE World would release the album. He was then featured on Yo Gotti's "Act Right" also featuring Jeezy. It would peak at number 100 on the Billboard Hot 100. He was then prominently featured on the CTE World mixtape, Boss Yo Life Up Gang in August 2013.
2013–present: My Krazy Life
On September 4, 2013, YG revealed that his debut album would be released on November 19, 2013 via Def Jam Recordings and that he has changed the album title to My Krazy Life. He also revealed that Drake would be featured on a song titled "Who You Love", produced by DJ Mustard. Shortly thereafter he released the album's lead single "My Nigga" featuring Rich Homie Quan and Jeezy, also produced by DJ Mustard. The song has since peaked at number 19 on the US Billboard Hot 100. On December 10, 2013, YG released the DJ Mustard-produced "Left, Right" as the album's second single. The following day, Def Jam announced that My Krazy Life would be released on March 18, 2014 and that "Who Do You Love?" featuring Drake would be the album's next single. On February 18, 2014, YG revealed the cover artwork for his debut album My Krazy Life. The artwork features YG posing for a mugshot, with his name and album title detailed in the placard around his neck.
YG is a member of the Compton-based Westside Tree Top Piru Bloods gang. On January 25, 2012, shots were fired during the filming of YG's music video "I'm a Thug." The police shut down and closed the set.
|Founder||Keenon "YG" Jackson
Dijon "DJ Mustard" McFarlane
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||Los Angeles, California|
YG came up with the idea for Pu$haz Ink in September 2008 with friends Ace and PC. He later officially co-founded the record label with DJ Mustard. Originally the "label" was used as a promotional tool and a brand for YG and DJ Mustard's group of rap collaborators they had grown up with. Then as YG, Ty Dolla Sign and DJ Mustard grew in popularity, they decided to officially form a record label for Pushaz Ink, including rappers RJ, Reem Riches, Tee Cee, and Slim 400.
- YG (Pu$haz Ink/CTE World/Def Jam) (CEO)
- DJ Mustard (Pu$haz Ink/Roc Nation/Universal)
- PC (Pu$haz Ink)
- Reem Riches (Pu$haz Ink)
- RJ (Pu$haz Ink)
- Slim 400
- Tee Cee (Pu$haz Ink)
- Ty Dolla Sign (Pu$haz Ink/Taylor Gang/Atlantic)
- 2011: Just Re'd Up
- 2012: 4 Hunnid Degreez
- 2013: Just Re'd Up 2
- 2013: Boss Yo Life Up Gang
- 2014: My Krazy Life
|2012||We the Party||C.C.||Support role|
|Mac & Devin Go to High School||Student/Smoker||Cameo|
Awards and nominations
|2014||"My Hitta"||Best Collaboration||Nominated|
|2014||"My Hitta"||Best Collabo, Duo or Group||Pending|
|Track of the Year|
|Himself||Rookie of the Year|
|"My Hitta"||Best Club Banger|
|"My Hitta" (Remix)||People's Champ Award|
- Matthew Wilkening (June 22, 2010). "YG, 'Toot It and Boot It' – New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "Def Jam again sets its sights on Los Angeles: Compton's Y.G. signs to the major - latimes.com". Latimesblogs.latimes.com. October 14, 2009. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "YG And DJ Mustard Prime For A Mainstream Hip-Hop Takeover - XXL Issue 152 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2014-01-08. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Y.G. | Artists | Def Jam". Island Def Jam. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "YG: Toot It and Boot It «". 24hourhiphop.com. January 10, 2011. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "XXL 2011 Freshmen Class | Freshman YG". Xxlmag.Com. May 25, 2009. Retrieved February 11, 2012.
- "iTunes - Music - You Broke (feat. Nipsey Hussle) - Single by YG". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "YG And DJ Mustard Prime For A Mainstream Hip-Hop Takeover - XXL Issue 152 - Page 2 of 2 - XXL". Xxlmag.com. 2014-01-08. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "YG Young Jeezy CTE". Complex. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- 09/04/2013 15:33:25 (2013-09-04). "YG's Debut Gets A Name Change, Release Date And A Drake Feature - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- "YG - Chart history". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Em (2013-12-11). "YG – ‘Left, Right’ (Feat. DJ Mustard) (Official Version)". HipHop-N-More. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Amaya (2013-12-11). "YG's Debut Album "My Krazy Life" Set For A March 18th Release Date Def Jam". Defjam.com. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Tardio, Andres (2013-12-11). "YG "My Krazy Life" Release Date | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- Tardio, Andres (2014-02-20). "YG "My Krazy Life" Release Date, Cover Art & Tracklist | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "10 Things You Should Know About YG’s Debut Album, ‘My Krazy Life’". TheSource. 2014-02-20. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "Rapper YG Talks Snoop Dogg Collaboration, Upcoming Movie & More". Billboard. 2012-01-26. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- Balfour, Jay (2014-03-09). "YG Details Work With DJ Mustard On Snoop Dogg's GGN | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- Title Artist. "PC (Pushaz Ink) Profile". Hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- Title Artist. "TeeCee4800 Nano & Reem Riches - Mid-Town Money (Hosted by DJ Mustard)". Hotnewhiphop.com. Retrieved 2013-09-27.
- '+ xml.find('album > name').text().match(/>(.+)</) +'. "Slim 400 Ft. YG & Kidoe – Turn Up » Blog Archive » DubCNN.com // West Coast Hip-Hop: Daily For Over A Decade". Dubcnn.com. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- Bacher, Danielle (2013-10-03). "I Hung Out With Ty$ the Other Night. Things Got Out of Hand | West Coast Sound | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2014-01-29.
- "Beyonce & Jay Z Lead 2014 BET Awards". Billboard. 2014-01-26. Retrieved 2014-05-14.
- Nostro, Lauren. "Here Are the 2014 BET Hip-Hop Award Nominees". Complex. Complex Media. Retrieved 5 September 2014.