YMPC Cricket Club
YMPC Cricket Club is a cricket club in Barbados. The club plays in the Barbados Cricket Association Division 1 championship. The club is part of the Young Men's Progressive Club of Barbados; established in 1935 for "lower middle income whites and near whites for whom there was no space in Pickwick and Wanderers [cricket clubs]". Changes in Barbadian society meant that from the 1960s onwards, the membership of YMPC gradually came to reflect the general Barbadian population. YMPC's home ground is at Beckles Road, Saint Michael. The club motto is mens sana in corpore sano.
YMPC won the 2006 Division 1 championship—the club's third—only eight years after a mass exodus of leading players threatened the future of the club. The club's previous championship was shared with Empire Cricket Club in 1991.
- Sandiford, p. 20.
- Sandiford, p. 22.
- "Narrow win for YMPC". The Nation. 25 January 2011. Retrieved 5 July 2011. "The most exciting finish of the day came at Beckles Road where host YMPC ..."
- Gill, Haydn (27 September 2006). "YMPC high!". The Nation. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Gill, Haydn (25 September 2006). "Let's hear it for YMPC!". The Nation. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Holder, Keith (13 May 2010). "BCUA umpire and former BCA Division 1 batsman Anthony Pollard to be buried on Friday". Barbados Cricket Association. Retrieved 4 July 2011.
- Sandiford, Keith A. P. (1998). Cricket Nurseries of colonial Barbados: The elite schools 1865-1966. Kingston: The Press University of the West Indies. ISBN 976-640-046-6.
|This article about sports in Barbados is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a cricket team is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|