|• Also spelled||Yabad (official)|
Skyline of Ya'bad, Palestine
|• Head of Municipality||Walid Abadi|
|• Jurisdiction||21,622 dunams (21.6 km2 or 8.3 sq mi)|
|Name meaning||Yabid, p.n.|
Ya'bad (Arabic: يعبد; Hebrew: יעבד) is a Palestinian town in the northern West Bank, 20 kilometers west of Jenin in the Jenin Governorate. It is a major agricultural town with most of its land covered with olive groves and grain fields. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics, the town had a population of 13,640 in 2007. Its mayor is Walid Abadi who was elected in 2005.
In 1596 Ya'bad appeared in the Ottoman tax registers as being in the nahiya of Jabal Sami in the liwa of Nablus. It had a population of 62 households, all Muslim. Taxes were paid on wheat, barley, summer crops, occasional revenues, goats and beehives, and a press for olives or grapes. A waqf was dedicated to Halil ar-Rahman. In the 17th-18th centuries, Ya'bad was well known for producing the best cheese in Samaria. Politically it was ruled by the Qadri clan allied with the powerful Abd al-Hadi clan.
In 1870 French explorer Victor Guérin noted Ya'bad situated "on a hill", while in the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine (1882), Yabid was described as "a good-sized stone village, with some Christian families and two factions of Moslems, called respectively the 'Abd el Hady and the Beni Tokan, living in separate quarters. The village stands on a ridge, with a well to the south and a small separate quarter on the east, in which is a small Mukam."
British Mandate era
In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Yabid had a population of 1,733, all Muslims, increasing in the 1931 census to a population of 2383, still all Muslim, in 418 occupied houses.
In 1945 the population Ya'bad (including Khirbat el Khuljan, Khirbat et Tarim, Khirbat Tura esh Sharqiya, Nazlat Sheik Zeid and Khirbat Umm Rihan) was 3,480 Arabs, with 37,805 dunams of land, according to an official land and population survey. 6,035 dunams were used for plantations and irrigable land, 9,955 dunams for cereals, while 92 dunams were built-up (urban) land.
A major charcoal mine in Fahma al-Jadida, is located near Ya'bad and most of its workers come from the city. Since the establishment of "closed-off areas" and the construction of the West Bank Barrier in the northern West Bank, Ya'bad and surrounding cities and towns have seen an increase in unemployment which reached to 88% in 2006. The annual average income has dropped "dramatically" by one-third according to the World Bank.
- 2007 Locality Population Statistics. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS).
- Palmer, 1881, p. 156
- Yabad municipality inaugurates new town hall
- Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 128
- Doumani, Beshara. (1995). The Hinterland of Nablus
- Guérin, 1875, p. 223
- Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 47
- Barron, 1923, Table IX, Sub-district of Jenin
- Mills, 1932, p. 71
- Segev, Tom (1999). One Palestine, Complete. Metropolitan Books. pp. 360–362. ISBN 0-8050-4848-0.
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 55
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 100
- Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 150
- Palestinians struggle in dire straits Martin Asser BBC News
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ya'bad.|
- Barron, J. B., ed. (1923). Palestine: Report and General Abstracts of the Census of 1922. Government of Palestine.
- Conder, Claude Reignier; Kitchener, H. H. (1882). The Survey of Western Palestine: Memoirs of the Topography, Orography, Hydrography, and Archaeology 2. London: Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Guérin, Victor (1875). Description Géographique Historique et Archéologique de la Palestine (in French). 2: Samarie, pt. 2. Paris: L'Imprimerie Nationale.
- Hadawi, Sami (1970). Village Statistics of 1945: A Classification of Land and Area ownership in Palestine. Palestine Liberation Organization Research Center.
- Hütteroth, Wolf-Dieter; Abdulfattah, Kamal (1977). Historical Geography of Palestine, Transjordan and Southern Syria in the Late 16th Century. Erlanger Geographische Arbeiten, Sonderband 5. Erlangen, Germany: Vorstand der Fränkischen Geographischen Gesellschaft. ISBN 3-920405-41-2.
- Mills, E., ed. (1932). Census of Palestine 1931. Population of Villages, Towns and Administrative Areas. Jerusalem: Government of Palestine.
- Palmer, E. H. (1881). The Survey of Western Palestine: Arabic and English Name Lists Collected During the Survey by Lieutenants Conder and Kitchener, R. E. Transliterated and Explained by E.H. Palmer. Committee of the Palestine Exploration Fund.
- Welcome To Ya'bad
- SWP map 8, IAA
- SWP map 8, Wikimedia commons
- The Israeli Checkpoints in the Northern Districts of the West Bank 24, August, 2003, ARIJ
- Hundreds of dunums confiscated for bypass road construction 07, May, 2007, ARIJ
- Confiscating a Truck in Ya'bad Village - Jenin Governorate 06, November, 2011, ARIj