Yakov Krotov is of mixed Russian (on his father's side) and Jewish (on his mother's side) descent. After graduation from biological department of Moscow State University in 1982, he worked as a librarian and archivist. In 1991 he started his journalistic career and published numerous articles about the problems on tolerance in Russia, freedom of conscience, Christianity and democracy.
He is married and has two sons.
His electronic library and blog
Some of his publications of online
- Sermon by priest Yakov Krotov, The moleben at the Cathedral of the Redeemer blessed and sanctified rocket forces of Russia. Well, it seems to be closer to heaven than sanctified BMWs of the new Russian rich, Novaya Gazeta, September 6, 2007
- A country where sociopathy won
- Army soul of Russia
- Unity of the Church
- This church has no full communion of Eastern Orthodox Church
- Russia: Skepticism Surrounds Reunited Orthodox Church Chloe Arnold RFE/RL, August 14, 2007
- Orthodox Christmas, Alexei II: follow Christ to be truly free, Asia News, July 1, 2006
- Unity Holiday Creating Discord, By Francesca Mereu, Moscow Times, November 3, 2005
- Яков Кротов, "О КРОТОВЫХ"
- Радио Свобода: Сотрудники - Яков Кротов
- Яков Кротов: «Служебная демократия» Радио Свобода, December 14, 2007