20 December 1940 |
Madanapalli, Andhra Pradesh
|Known for||Indian Classical Dance|
|Awards||Padma Bhushan, Padma Shree|
Yamini Krishnamurthy was born in Madanapalli, Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh. She was born on a full moon night, and her grandfather named her Yamini Poornatilaka, which means “a full mark on the brow of night.” She was brought up in Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu, Her mother tongue is Telugu.
Yamini Krishnamurthy debuted in 1957 in Madras. She has the honor of being Asthana Nartaki (resident dancer) of the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam. Some critics have observed that Yamini’s dancing reflects rhythm personified.
She has a leading place as an exponent of Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi. She imparts dance lessons to younger dancers at her institute, Yamini School of Dance, Hauz Khas, New Delhi.
She released her autobiography, "A Passion For Dance", a book well received by the readers.123
Yamini Krishnamurthy didn't marry. Her Manager name is Mr. Shiv Ganesh. And her Personal Secretary name is Mr.J.Agnel Grietas.
Her dancing career brought her many awards, including the Padma Shree (1968) and the Padma Bhushan (2001), which are among the highest civilian awards of the Republic of India. Dr. Yamini Krishnamurthy got honoured with "Natya Shastra" award by Shambhavi School of Dance at "Nayika-Excellence Personified" on the occasion of Woman's Day on 8 March 2014. She gave a lecture demonstration on "Contribution of Woman to Kuchipudi".She also released a Kuchipudi Dance DVD featuring Prateeksha Kashi who is the daughter of Kuchipudi Dansuse Smt.Vyjayanthi Kashi,artistic director of Shambhavi.
|Dr. Yamini Krishnamurthy in Nayika-Excellence Personified|
- 'A dancer must have tremendous personality. A God like Christ and even a godman like Rajneesh had some personality. Combination of talent, dedication, creativity and being emotive is imperative. A coupling of these four qualities with technique is essential. Monotony is deterrent as it regards your style and I notice today, that new dancers perform in a startlingly similar fashion.'
- 'The past has been exciting, the present extremely challenging. As for the future, it holds a lot of promise and many surprises. And I cannot wait to unravel them!'
- 'On marriage she said 'Marriage did not happen because it was not meant to be. As for children, all my disciples are my children.'
- Padma Shri Awardees
- Padma Bhushan Awardees
- "Lecture Demonstration at Nayika, Bangalore". www.thehindu.com. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Yamini Krishnamurthy in "Naykia-Excellence Personified"". www.narthaki.com. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
- "Yamini Krishnamurthy Confer with Natyashastra Award". www.buzzintown.com. Retrieved 2014-03-14.
|This Indian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|