|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (August 2011)|
|Elevation||255 m (837 ft)|
|• Density||687/km2 (1,780/sq mi)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Sex ratio||877 ♂/♀|
Yamuna Nagar pronunciation (help·info) (Hindi: यमुनानगर) is a city and a municipal corporation in Yamuna Nagar district in the Indian state of Haryana. This town is known for the cluster of plywood units. One of the top class plywood company is called Neelgiri Plywood Pvt. Ltd. It is also known for providing the country's finest timber to even larger industries.The older town is called Jagadhri. The Jagadhari Railway Station services the city. It is a green, clean and prosperous industrial city. However, due to recent spur in Industrial units in and around the city have resulted in severe air, water and soil pollution issues. The city is turning up rapidly with the opening of multiplexes and various high end brand stores. Saroj Bala is the elected Mayor of Yamunanagar.
Yamuna Nagar has the river Yamuna running through the district, and forming the eastern boundary with the neighbouring Saharanpur district. This boundary is also a state boundary, as Saharanpur is in the state of Uttar Pradesh. The distt. also separates the Yamuna system from the Satluj river system.
Towards its northern edge is a sub-mountainous region, which has more forest cover and lots of streams; it is the area where the river Yamuna flows out of the hills and into the plains. The northern boundary is also an interstate boundary with the state of Himachal Pradesh to the north. Sirmour in Himachal is the district to its north with the towns of Nahan and Paonta Sahib close to the boundary with Yamuna nagar.
As per provisional data of 2011 census Yamunanagar urban agglomeration had a population of 383,318, out of which males were 205,346 and females were 177,972. The literacy rate was 95.72 per cent.
This town became the new home of the refugees who migrated to this part of the country on the partition of the country in 1947 .Rampura Colony, Model Colony, Model Town and Gandhi Camp areas of modern city were reserved for them, the position remained as such up to 1970s. The place was earlier known as 'Abdullahpur' which was later renamed by the city's eminent people as Jamnanagaar and later on as Yamunanagar. Till 1947, it was a small hamlet of 6000 people, mostly population concentrated around Jagadhri Railway Station and Yamuna Gali, Old Radaur Road area. After partition of India, many migrants from Punjab in Pakistan chose to make Yamuna Nagar/Jagadhri their new home, and in the process. adding to the culture of the town. The area where land was allocated to the migrants, later developed into the Model Town area of Yamuna Nagar, the centre of the city area. The Topra Asokan pillar of Delhi was found in the village Topra Kalan, about 20 km from yamunanagar. Archaeological survey of India has found many Harrapan bricks and stones from the area.
- Shri Shankar Shiv Devi Bhalla(SSSDB) High School, YNR
- Dayanand High School, Model Town, YNR
- Anand Public School
- Bhagwan Parshuram Public school Jagadhri
- D.A.V. Public School
- Govt. Sen. Sec. School Model Colony
- Govt. Sr.secondary School JAGADHRI
- Maharishi Vidya Mandir Public School
- Mukand lal national Sr Sec School
- Mukand Lal Public School
- National Public School
- National Sr. Sec. School, Camp
- Nav Prabhat Senior Secondary School, Jagadhri
- New Happy Sr. Sec. School, Opp. I.T.I,YNR
- New Happy Public School, Chandpur Road, YNR
- New Happy Public School, Chhachhrauli Road, Bilaspur (๐ S.D. Public School, Jagadhri
- Sacred Heart Convent School
- Sant Nischal Singh Public School
- Saraswati Public School (10+2), Jagadhri
- Springfields Public School
- St. Thomas School, Jagadhri
- Swami Vivekanand Public School
- Shivalik Public School,Sabapur Yamunanagar
- S.D.Sen. Sec. School Jagadhri
- Swami Vivekanand Public School Camp Yamuna Nagar
- S.D. Model School, Jagadhri.
- St. LAWRENCE INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, Jagadhri
- Vishvas Public School
- Mothers's Pride School, Farkpur
The list of prominent colleges is as below
- BHARAT COLLEGE OF EDUCATION VILL KANDROLI,P.O.GUMTHLA RAO RADOUR YAMUNANAGAR
- D.A.V College
- Guru Nanak Khalsa College
- Guru Nanak Girls college
- Global Research Institute of Management and Technology
- Haryana Engg. COllege, Jagadhri
- Hindu Girls' College
- Maa Sharda Nursing College
- Maa Sharda Polytechnic College
- Maharaja Agrasen College, Jagadhri
- Mukand Lal National(MLN) College
- Swami Vivekanand School of Education
- Guru Harkrishan Vocational institute,chhoti line
- Seth jai parkash polytechnic(damla)
- SHIVALIK D.ED COLLEGE OF EDUCATION SABAPUR
- Yamuna Group of Institutions vill. gadholi
NIIT Computer Training Institute, running since 1996
- Asian college of Management & Technology, Dhorang
- Guru Nanak Khalsa Institute of Technology and Management studies
- Guru Gobind Singh Institute of Technology and Management Studies]
- Maharaja Agrasen Institute of Management and Technology
- Shree Ram Institute of Business & Management
- Tilak Raj Chadha Institute of Management and Technology
• Maharishi Ved Vyas Engg. College, Jagadhri • Shri Ram Institute of Engineering & Technology • Institute of Science and Technology Klawad • Ganpati Institute of Technology and Management • Global Research Institute of Management and Technology • Yamuna Group of Institutions Village Gadholi • Shri Siddhi Vinayak Engineering college • Maharishi Markandeshwar Engineering College, Mullana-Ambala • Haryana Engg. College, Jagadhri
The best engineering college in the area is Seth Jai Prakash Mukand Lal Institute of Engineering & Technology(JMIT)
- J.N. Kapoor DAV Centenary Dental College.
- Yamuna institute of dental sciences & research vill gadholi po gadhola distt. yamuna nagar
- Ajat Aashram
- Buria Sahib Gurudwara
- Dayalu Hanuman Mandir
- Dera Baba Chaa Wala,fatehgarh
- Gaurishankar Mahashivalya Jagadhri
- Kapal Mochan (Bilaspur)
- Maha Shiwalya Bhatauli.
- Mahakali Mandir Phoolwala Jagadhri Old Chhachhrauli Road, Jagadhri.
- Panchmukhi Hanuman Mandir
- Pracheen Mansadevi Mandir Jagadhri
- Santpura Gurudawara
- Shri Adi Badri & Saraswati Udgam Sthal
- Shri Maha Kaleshwar Math (Kalesar)
- Suraj Kund Mandir, Mahabharat kaleen Surya Kund.
- Jorian Gurudawara
- Hanuman Shiv Mandir, Chuna Bhatti, Tirath Nagar
Yamuna Nagar is well known for its industries. It has emerged as an important industrial destination in the state. This has been despite its relatively isolated location from rest of the state. Due to expanding industries, the city kept on extending geographically. This is primarily due to an increasing number of immigrants. This led to an intermixing of diverse culture. It also has to do with the rural ambiance which is reported to have undergone a lot of change. With increasing population, the trading aspects became brighter and the city went on becoming the second highest revenue generator of Haryana, immediately after Faridabad that owes its position largely to its prime location.
The city produces sugar machinery, paper machinery along with highly efficient equipments for petrochemical plants, which are shipped to various refineries across the country.The city is also known for its plywood productions, which is attributed to the easy accessibility of primary raw material – poplar tree. It has also one of India's largest railway carriage and wagon repair workshops. Recently, Reliance Industries has also installed a thermal power plant in the town. Haryana Urban Development Authority has done major development work in the land-stretch linking the city with Jagadhri, the other part of twin city. Jagadhrin is called as BRASS CITY, and famous for its brass and stainless steel utensils.
- R.P.Vohra And Sons Group
- Maple Plywood Industry Pvt. Ltd.
- Ballarpur Industries (Paper Mill)
- Hydro Mechanik Engineers(H.M.E. Manakpur)
- Chanderpur Works
- Erol Exports
- Guru Amar Industries
- ISGEC, manufacturing hydraulic presses, Pressure Vessels and Boilers
- Jamna Auto Industries Ltd. (JAI)
- Kamal Engineering Corporation
- Kay Iron Works (Yamuna Nagar) Pvt. Ltd.
- Modi Distilleries
- Oriental Engineering Works
- Great India Steel Fabricators
- Pal Engineering Corporation,
- Priti Chemical Industries/Indo Nordiska Solutions Ltd
- Saraswati Sugar Mills
- Specialsteel Components
- Steelcraft Industries
- Sohan Brass Industries, Jagadhri
- Railway Workshop, Jagadhri Workshop
- United industries
- Yamuna Power & Infrastructure Ltd.
- York Cellulose Pvt. Ltd.(Tissue Paper Unit)
- Brass and Copper Sheet Industries
- Match Industries
- Medicine Industries
- Stone Crushing And Screening Units (approximately 200 in number)
- Steel Utensil, Jagadhri
- Techno Cutters
- S.K.Jindal & C0.
- Haryana Industry
- Northern Timbers
- Vishal Wood Crafts, Vill Badi Majra
- SafeXplore (A Web Development Company)
Due to the presence of plenty of water and good fertile soil main crops are sugarcane, rice, wheat and garlic, etc. One of the main source of the income of farmers of Yamuna Nagar is agri-forestry, in which farmers grow poplar and eucalyptus besides conventional farming.
Located at the base of Shivalik Hills, Yamuna Nagar has moderately developed tourism industry. The state government owns and maintains a Haryana Tourism guest house, Grey Pelican on the banks of the river Yamuna, close to river's exit from the hills.
There are various social organisations in the district such as: o District Red Cross o District Child Welfare Council
Besides there are some clubs in the town such as: o Lions club (Distt 321 A2), o Yamuna Club, o Rotary Club of Yamunanagar (Dist. 3080) o Gymkhana Club o Parma Yoga
Western Yamuna canal of the river Yamuna flows on one side of the city. These canal servers the irrigation needs of the farmers. The canal has century old path ways, called pattri locally, on both sides which serve has connecting routes between villages even today and also help the irrigation department to maintain the canal and provide a perfect scenic walk with water on one side and green lush farms on other hand. The river marks the boundary of the district with the state of Uttar Pradesh which borders the city on the eastern side of river Yamuna. The neighbouring city is Saharanpur in the state of Uttar Pradesh. In the north, the district borders the state of Himachal Pradesh, Sirmaur being the district and the towns of Nahan and Paonta Sahib being the towns nearby. Tajewala headworks from where the Yamuna canal is diverted is also north of the city. Jagadhri is an adjoining town famous for industrial brass sheet and stainless steel industry. This city is the birthplace of Sri Kawaljeet Singh Yogi....The Superintendent (Receipts) International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, Number 458, Sethni Street, Devi Bhawan Bazar JAGADHRI – 135 003, Yamuna Nagar, Haryana, INDIA. Ms Asha Bhargava, 190 Sarojini Colony got State award from Governor of Haryana and National award from President for excellence in teaching.
- "Urban Agglomerations/Cities having population 1 lakh and above". Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- "Destinations in Yamuna Nagar".