||This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|— County-controlled city —|
|Yangmei City · 楊梅市|
|• Mayor||Peng Shengfu|
|• Total||89.1229 km2 (34.4105 sq mi)|
|Population (May 2010)|
|• Density||1,700/km2 ( 4,400/sq mi)|
Yangmei (Chinese: 楊梅; pinyin: Yángméi) is a county-controlled city in southern Taoyuan County of Taiwan (Republic of China). The traditional residents are Hakka people. The former township was upgraded to a city after passing 150,000 in population.
Yangmei is one of the three largest towns in Taoyuan. The center is only 40 minutes from the west coast of Taiwan and the Taiwan Strait. To the north it borders Pingjhen city; to the south it borders Hsinchu County. To the east, Yangmei borders Longtan Township. There were lots of Yangmei trees (楊梅樹) when Chinese immigrants entered this place, so that's how this town got its name.
To the east, Yangmei is circled by foothills which are partly forested. a fair amount of tea plantations can be found in this area. There are also several gated communities in the hilly areas of Yangmei City—Sunny Forest Hill is the biggest and most famous of them. In the south of Yangmei, there is one of the most popular golf club in Taiwan—Sunrise Golf & Country Club.
Yangmei is served by National Highway No. 1. Generally, it is about 50 minutes driving time to Taipei city. Taiwan No. 1 highway also serve the town, so that the transportation system is convenient for travelers.
Yangmei has high-tech industry in the area, with Chunghwa Picture Tube having a factory in the city. One of the largest clusters of TFT-LCD plants are located in the area, Yangmei is also a transport hub with several container terminals present in the city. Maersk Taiwan maintains a distribution center in Yangmei. A fair amount of light industry is also present, with Youth Industrial Park (幼獅工業區) being home to much traditional industry. Another large industrial enterprise in Yangmei is China Motors (中華汽車) which builds Mitsubishi cars under license.
- Fugang Junior High School
- Jenmei Junior High School
- Rueiyuan Junior High School
- Rueiping Junior High School
- Yangguang Junior High School
- Yangmei Junior High School
- Yangming Junior High School
- Tawa Senior High School subsidiary junior school (private)
- Jhiping Senior High School subsidiary junior school (private)
- Fugang Elementary School
- Rueimei Elementary School
- Rueipu Elementary School
- Rueitang Elementary School
- Rueiyuan Elementary School
- Shehwei Elementary School
- Tatung Elementary School
- Yangguang Elementary School
- Yangmei Elementary School
- Yangming Elementary School
- Yangshing Elementary School
- "History". Yangmei Township Office. Retrieved 2010-06-28.