|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
Yannis Philippakis performing at Roskilde Festival 2011 with Foals.
|Birth name||Yannis Barnabas Emanuel Philippakis|
23 April 1986 |
Born to a Greek father and a South African-born Ukrainian-Jewish mother (Renee Hirschon), Philippakis left Greece with his mother when he was five years old. His father taught him traditional folk songs and dances.
Philippakis formed Foals in 2005 with friend and former Youthmovies frontman Andrew Mears after the break-up of his former band The Edmund Fitzgerald, which also featured his Foals bandmate, drummer Jack Bevan. He appeared on Series 21 of BBC's Never Mind The Buzzcocks, on 24 January 2008. In a BBC 6 hub session interview Philippakis expressed his desire to write a 'ballet with beats'.
Intentions to develop his Bins Are For Bombs project with former Foals and Youthmovies member Andrew Mears appear static, but may be rekindled at some point in the near future.
Yannis produced the track 'Wolf' on Trophy Wife's 2011 EP "Bruxism". He then went on to record the new Foals album, Holy Fire, which was released via Warner Bros. on 12 February 2013 in the U.S. and 11 February 2013 in the UK. 
- He performed as an actor in an adaptation of Marguerite Duras' Moderato Cantabile, directed by Alexander Zeldin.
- He spent two nights in bookshop Shakespeare and Company, opposite to Notre-Dame in Paris.
- Never Mind the Buzzcocks
- Later... with Jools Holland
- Skins (Released as a MySpace exclusive, then aired by E4)
- The Culture Show
- T-Mobile's Transmission
- The Album Chart Show
- Barclaycard Mercury Prize Sessions
- Live from Abbey Road
- The Jewish Chronicle Online Interview
- Guardian Interview
- Visit Karpathos
- "Watch: Trophy Wife & Yannis Foals In The Studio With ‘Wolf’". This is Fake DIY. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- French TV interview http://www.mytaratata.com/Pages/VIDEO_page_video.aspx?sig=f4f81fcae31s
- Official website
- Foals on Myspace
- A Band That Cradles Its Rock, Even Under All Those Layers of Expectations, New York Times
- Music Review: Foals, BBC Norfolk – 2008
- Foals reviewed on The Mag
- Yannis Philippakis at the Internet Movie Database
- Yannis Philippakis on Twitter