Yao surname in regular script
|Word/Name||Henan Fan County or Shandong|
Iao, Iau (Hokkien)
Yao (Chinese: 姚; pinyin: Yáo) also as Yiu is one of the most ancient Chinese surnames. It is usually romanised as Yiu in Cantonese. It is ranked 101st in the Hundred Family Surnames, and as the 41st most common surname in Mainland China.
- Mandarin: Yao
- Cantonese: Yiu
- Min Nan (Hokkien (Fujian)/Teochew): Iao, Iau
- Vietnamese: Diêu
- Korean: Yo
- Japanese: Yō
- Singapore: Yeow
- Emperor Shun, a legendary leader of ancient China (also as Yao Chonghua), one of the Three Sovereigns and Five Emperors in ancient China.
- Andrew Chi-Chih Yao, a Chinese computer scientist and A.M. Turing Award laureate.
- Yao Ming, a retired Chinese professional basketball player
- Yao Wenyuan, member of the Gang of Four
- MC HotDog (born name as Yao Chung-jen), a Taiwanese rap artist known for his use of explicit lyrics in his songs.
- Yao Chen, a famous Chinese actress.
- Claire Yiu, a Hong Kong actress.
- Eileen Yeow, also known as Yiu Ying-ying, is a Hong Kong-based Singaporean actress.
Learning of the Chinese culture- the Yao dynasty
|This page or section lists people with the surname Yao. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|