Yapto Soerjosoemarno, full name KRT. Yapto Soelistyo Soerjosoemarno, S.H, is an Indonesian politician who is known as the leader of Pemuda Pancasila (Pancasila Youth), an organization of quasi-official political gangsters that supported the New Order military dictatorship of Soeharto, while also engaging in other lucrative but non-official criminal acts. Pemuda Pancasila played an important role in supporting Soeharto's military coup in 1965: they ran death squads for the Indonesian army, murdering thousands of alleged communists across the province of North Sumatra.
He was born 16 December 1949, in Surakarta, Central Java.His father, Ir. KPN. Soetarjo Soerjosoemarno, is a member of the Mangkunegaran Javanese nobility. Soerjosoemarno is also an expert in topography and geodesy who finished his education in the Netherlands. His mother, Dolly Zegerius, who is of Dutch origin is a competitive contract bridge player, and a naturalised Indonesian citizen.
Yapto Soerjosoemarno is known as the leader of Pemuda Pancasila (Pancasila Youth), an organization of semi-official political gangsters that supported the New Order military dictatorship of Soeharto. Indeed, Pemuda Pancasila played an important role in supporting Soeharto's military coup in 1965: they ran death squads for the Indonesian army, murdering thousands of alleged communists and Chinese Indonesians across the province of North Sumatra. The leaders of these death squads, Effendy Nasution, Jan Pahrum Lubis, Roshiman and others selected Yapto to lead Pancasila Youth in 1980. In addition to leading Pancasila Youth, Yapto today leads a political party formally affiliated with Pancasila Youth called the Patriot Party. He is also a lawyer and owns a law firm in South Jakarta, Indonesia. The Patriot Party is known for its loyalty to the family of former Indonesian President, the late General Suharto.
Yapto also heads other 'youth gangs'.
Yapto married Retno Suciati and has three children: Golda Nayawitri B.D.K, Sahid Abishalom B.N.N.S, and Jedidiah Shenazar K.S. The Soerjosoemarno family includes several performers: Yapto's elder sister Marini is an actress, and his niece Shelomita (Marini's daughter) is a singer. Both he and his family have had frequent brushes with the law and have been detained.
On 12 March 2011, Yapto received a bomb disguised as a book named Apakah Masih Ada Pancasila (Does the Pancasila still exist?).
- Filmmaker fears reprisals for exposé on mass murders, Sydney Morning Herald, 24 November 2012
- "Elections Commission told to respond to political parties' complaints". Antara. (Jakarta). 11 April 2004. p. 1.
- Youth Gangs and Otherwise in Indonesia; RYTER, Loren, University of Michigan; presented at the Global Gangs Workshop, 14–15 May 2009
- "Seven people questioned over Sunday's gang murders". The Jakarta Post (Jakarta). 28 March 2000. p. 1.
- http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/1999/10/30/yapto039s-son-detained-cafe-owner-beating.htm. Missing or empty
- http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2000/03/28/seven-people-questioned-over-sunday039s-gang-murders.html. Missing or empty
- http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2000/03/27/downtown-bar-gang-clash-leaves-2-dead.html. Missing or empty
- Bomb for Yapto disguised as book on Pancasila. The Jakarta Post