|Type||Preparatory day and boarding|
|Religion||Church of England|
|Founder||Rev Walter Earle|
|DfE URN||124477 Tables|
|Former pupils||Old Yarletians|
The school was founded by Reverend Walter Earle, former Second Master at Uppingham School, as a small prep school for boys in Yarlet Hall, a Victorian private house situated in the countryside on the outskirts of Stafford. Hence, Yarlet had close ties with Uppingham early in its history and indeed, many of the boys continued their schooling at Uppingham. Earle founded Bilton Grange in Warwickshire and later moved there in 1887, taking some of the boys with him, but the original school in Yarlet continued to function under a new headmaster. Ties were also established with Rugby School, which remain to this day. It became a charitable trust in 1970. The pre-prep department was opened in 1993. Girls were admitted in 1994 and the school is now fully coeducational.
Subjects taught in Year 3 and above include English and Drama, Mathematics, Science, ICT, French, History, Geography, Religious Studies, Latin and Music. Pupils are prepared for the Common Entrance Exam which is taken at the end of Year 8.
Boarding is provided for a small number of pupils. A flexi-boarding option is also available. Since 2009 Yarlet has run a "combined scholarship" programme with several reputable independent senior schools to allow deserving children from financially disadvantaged backgrounds to board at Yarlet and then transfer to the senior schools as full boarders after completing their studies at Yarlet.
There have only been eight headmasters (including the incumbent) in the school's history.
- Incomplete list
- Walter Earle (1873-1887)
- Clement W L Bode (1887-1902)
- Keith E Tarling (?-1960)
- David N Carr (1960-1989)
- Richard S Plant (1989-2009)
- Ian M Raybould (2009–present)
- John Buxton, academic
- Norman Douglas, author
- Giles Foden, author
- Nick Hancock, comedian and host
- John Uttley, son of Alison Uttley
- Leinster-Mackay, Donald (1984). The Rise of the English Prep School. Falmer Press. p. 114. ISBN 0-905273-74-5.
- Searby, Peter, ed. (1982). Educating the Victorian middle class: proceedings of the 1981 annual conference of the History of Education Society of Great Britain. History of Education Society. p. 32.
- "Scholars win places to Yarlet School in Stone". The Sentinel. 21 March 2012.
- Main School
- In Memory of David Carr
- Farewell to Richard Plant
- Judd, Denis (1986). Alison Uttley: life of a country child (1884-1976) - The authorised biography. p. 89. ISBN 9780718124496.
- The Historian of Yarlet