Yoshi's Woolly World
|Yoshi's Woolly World|
The official Yoshi's Woolly World logo.
|Distribution||Wii U Optical Disc, download|
Yoshi's Woolly World, known in Japan as Yoshi Wool World (ヨッシーウールワールド Yosshī Ūru Wārudo?), is an upcoming 2015 side-scrolling platformer video game in development by Good-Feel for the Wii U video game console. The game is the first home console Yoshi video game since the release of Yoshi's Story in 1997, and is expected to be released in early 2015.
Yoshi's Woolly World is a platform game in which the player assumes the role of Yoshi. Similar to developer Good-Feel's Kirby's Epic Yarn, the game is set in a world where the characters and environment are composed of yarn and cloth. Yoshi retains much of his moveset from the Yoshi's Island series of games, including using his tongue to swallow enemies and using his flutter jump to reach hard areas, and many elements such as flowers and mystery clouds return. However, unlike other games where swallowing enemies would produce eggs which Yoshi could then throw, Yoshi instead produces balls of yarn. These yarn balls have various uses when thrown, such as tying up enemies or filling in certain platforms and objects. Players can also gather white chicks, which produce temporary cloud platforms when thrown. The game also supports up to two players cooperatively, with players able to swallow and throw their partners, allowing them to reach otherwise inaccessible areas.
The game supports Nintendo's Amiibo figurines and Nintendo has confirmed that Yoshi will have the capability of using woolen transformations to progress through the game, for example Yoshi can transform his legs into wheels.
Yoshi's Woolly World was first announced by Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata on January 23, 2013 under the tentative title Yarn Yoshi. The game was stated to be in development by Good-Feel with game designer Takashi Tezuka supervising the project. The game was absent from E3 2013 but was playable at E3 2014, where it was given a tentative release time frame of "the first half of 2015."
- Tipps, Seth (December 11, 2014). "Yoshi's Woolly World Confirmed for Early 2015 Release". IGN. Archived from the original on December 13, 2014. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- Bell, Kyle (June 17, 2014). "Nintendo is Back! Wii U Lineup Shows New Swagger for Big N". Game Freaks 365.
- Parrish, Robin (June 14, 2014). "Can Amiibo toys make Nintendo matter again?". Tech Times.
- "Yoshi's Woolly World". Nintendo. July 26, 2014.
- "Yoshi's Woolly World preview". Tuppence Magazine. July 21, 2014.
- Crecente, Brian (January 23, 2013). "New Wii U Yoshi game coming from Nintendo". Polygon. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Yoshi's Wooly World for Wii U - Nintendo @ E3". E3.nintendo.com. Retrieved 2014-06-11.