Yoshi's Woolly World
|Yoshi's Woolly World|
|Release date(s)||EU June 26, 2015
NA July-Sept 2015
JP Q3 2015
|Distribution||Wii U Optical Disc, download|
Yoshi's Woolly World, known in Japan as Yoshi Wool World (Japanese: ヨッシーウールワールド Hepburn: Yosshī Ūru Wārudo?), is an upcoming 2015 side-scrolling platformer video game in development by Good-Feel for the Wii U video game console. The game is the first home console Yoshi video game since the release of Yoshi's Story on the Nintendo 64 in 1997.
Yoshi's Woolly World is a platform game in which the player assumes the role of Yoshi. Similar to developer Good-Feel's Kirby's Epic Yarn, the game is set in a world where the characters and environment are composed of yarn and cloth. Yoshi retains much of his moveset from the Yoshi's Island series of games, including using his tongue to swallow enemies and using his flutter jump to reach hard areas, and many elements such as flowers and mystery clouds return. However, unlike other games where swallowing enemies would produce eggs which Yoshi could then throw, Yoshi instead produces balls of yarn. These yarn balls have various uses when thrown, such as tying up enemies or filling in certain platforms and objects. Players can also gather white chicks, which produce temporary cloud platforms when thrown. The game also supports up to two players cooperatively, with players able to swallow and throw their partners, allowing them to reach otherwise inaccessible areas. In addition, Yoshi will be able to progress through the game by utilizing woolen transformations, such as turning his legs into wheels.
In a similar vein to the "Super Guide" of games such as Donkey Kong Country Returns and New Super Mario Bros. Wii, the game includes what is called "Mellow Mode". In Mellow Mode, Yoshi gains a pair of wings that enable him to infinitely fly through a stage, avoiding most obstacles and hazards. This is in order for less-skilled and more casual players to still enjoy the game. Mellow Mode can be toggled on or off at any time during a Classic Mode session in order to let players decide when they want the assistance.
The game supports Nintendo's Amiibo figurines. The Amiibo, which unlike previous figures will be made out of yarn to match the game's aesthetic, will enable a duplicate Yoshi to join a solo player and replicate the possibilities of the two-player mode. Nintendo plans to launch three Yoshi Amiibos to coincide with the game's launch in pink, green, and blue.
Yoshi's Woolly World was first announced by Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata on January 23, 2013 under the tentative title Yarn Yoshi. The game was stated to be in development by Good-Feel with game designer Takashi Tezuka supervising the project. The game was absent from E3 2013 but was playable at E3 2014, where it was given a tentative release time frame of "the first half of 2015."
A stage based on Yoshi's Woolly World appears in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, despite the game not having come out by the release of that game.
- "Nintendo of Europe". Twitter. Retrieved April 2, 2015.
- "Earnings Release for the Nine-Month Period Ended December 2014 Supplementary Information" (PDF). nintendo.co.jp. Nintendo Co. January 28, 2015. Archived (PDF) from the original on February 28, 2015. Retrieved March 1, 2015.
- "Yoshi's Woolly World". Nintendo. July 26, 2014.
- "Yoshi's Woolly World preview". Tuppence Magazine. July 21, 2014.
- Parrish, Robin (June 14, 2014). "Can Amiibo toys make Nintendo matter again?". Tech Times.
- McMahon, Conor (April 2, 2015). "Yoshi's Woolly World Knits Up Some Release Details And An Adorable Range Of amiibo". Nintendo Life. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 1, 2015.
- Crecente, Brian (January 23, 2013). "New Wii U Yoshi game coming from Nintendo". Polygon. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Yoshi's Wooly World for Wii U - Nintendo @ E3". E3.nintendo.com. June 11, 2014. Archived from the original on October 24, 2014. Retrieved June 11, 2014.