|Born||March 22, 1937|
|Origin||Gujranwala, Punjab, India|
|Genres||Hindustani classical music, Agra Gharana, Vocal|
|Occupation(s)||Vocalist, Composer, Teacher|
Pandit Yashpaul (born 22 March 1937) is a performing artiste of the Agra gharana of Hindustani Classical Music. He has made significant contributions towards the preservation of the heritage of the classical vocal music of India’s north western region. He received his music training under the gurus Pt. Kasturi Lal Ji Jasara (Qasoor Gharana), Ustad Vilayat Hussain Khan Saheb and Ustad Yunus Hussain Khan Saheb, the virtuosos of the Agra gharana of Nohar Bani. He also bears the influence of the inspirations of the Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan Saheb and Pt. Malikarjun Mansoor Ji.
He is a composer, educationist and musicologist. He has composed many compositions in common and rare ragas with his nom de plume Sagun Piya. He has received many awards including the Sangeet Natak Academy Award in 2011.
Pandit Yashpaul was born in Gujranwala in 1937. After the partition his parents migrated to India and settled in Jalandhar, where he was initiated into music under the care and training of Guru Pt. Kasturilal ji ‘Jassra’, who himself was the disciple of Late Ustad Chhotte Ghulam Ali Khan Saheb of Lahore.
Pandit Yashpaul believes in the guru - shishya parampara under which the student is taught the core techniques of the gharana. He puts emphasis on swar-sadhna and the purity of the raga. His teaching methodology involves instilling a unique aesthetic sense in individuals. He teaches only one student per class as he believes that education must take place by one-on-one interaction.
Pandit Yashpaul first performed when he was 11 years old at the "Hariwallabh sangeet samelan". He is the oldest alumni of Swami Harballabh Sangeet Akademi Jalandhar. He has been performing from the All India Radio since 1952. At present he is a performing artiste of All India Radio (Akashvani & Doordarshan). So far he has performed in many nationally-broadcast programmes of music, as well as annual Akashvani Sangeet Sammelans.
Awards and honors
Awards received by Pandit Yashpaul include:.
- National Sangeet Natak Academy Award
- Award of National Scholarship,1962 (Ministry of Education Govt. of India)
- Punjab State award
- Punjab Sangeet Natak Academi award
- Dedicated Educationist award
- Sangeet Sumeru award
- Sangeet Shiromani award
- The Music Monarch of India’s north western region (the lifetime award by FFF)
- Honored by Senior Citizens Association of Chandigarh
- Received Pb. University Colour in 1958
- He is the founder and former Chairman of Deptts. of Music i.e., M.C.M. D.A.V. College for Women and Punjab University Chandigarh respectively
- Index of /pdfdocs
- Harbhajan Singh Namdhari AND Pandit Yash Paul - News, photos, topics, and quotes
- :: Felicitation of Pt. Yashpaul Ji ::
- The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories