Years Past Matter
|Years Past Matter|
|Studio album by Krallice|
|Released||August 25, 2012|
|Genre||Black metal, progressive metal|
Years Past Matter is the fourth studio album by American black metal band Krallice. It was self-released by the band as a limited edition CD on August 25, 2012. A vinyl version of the album was subsequently released by Gilead Media on March 19, 2013.
Years Past Matter is the band's shortest record to date. It adopts the "progressive black metal" style of their previous albums. The vocalists, Mick Barr and Nicolas McMaster, "approach their screams with equal gusto but very different tones." The basslines of McMaster were also described to be "essential to the overall effect as the guitars."
According to Pitchfork writer Grayson Currin, the album's second track, "IIIIIIII", features "a rhythmic momentum written into the guitar lines when the fuselage of drums pauses for about 15 seconds." The closer track, "IIIIIIIIIIII" is largely instrumental and is built on a short, flicking riff that "Colin Marston and Barr stretch."
Grayson Currin of Pitchfork Media gave the album a positive review, stating: "They've [Krallice] never sounded as comprehensive and confident as they do on Years Past Matter." He also described the album as "the band's most relentless and unforgiving, comprising six tracks of impossibly choreographed and dense four-part motion." Nevertheless, Sputnikmusic criticized the album, stating: "Almost surprisingly, Years Past Matter yet again showcases a complete lack of progression from the initial idea that catalyzed the creation of this band." The reviewer also further elaborated: "There is not a single part of this album that stands on its own as a piece of music worth recognizing. It has been done before, three times to be exact, and was done better. Whatever planet Mick Barr's species is from certainly wasn't the land of creativity."
All songs written and performed by Krallice.
- "IIIIIII" - 08:19
- "IIIIIIII" - 11:12
- "IIIIIIIII" - 12:13
- "IIIIIIIIII" - 10:26
- "IIIIIIIIIII" - 1:46
- "IIIIIIIIIIII" - 16:41
- Currin, Grayson (August 1, 2012). "Krallice - "IIIIIIII"". Pitchfork. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Krallice - Years Past Matter". Gilead Media. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Currin, Grayson (August 28, 2012). "Krallice - Years Past Matter". Pitchfork. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Fantano, Anthony (September 17, 2012). "Krallice- Years Past Matter". The Needle Drop. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- Rosenbloom, Satan (November 30, 2012). "Years Past Matter: Krallice’s Densest Layer Cake Yet". MetalSucks. Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "Krallice - Years Past Matter (staff review)". Sputnikmusic. August 27, 2012. Retrieved April 3, 2014.