Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai
|Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai|
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai opening sequence
|Created by||Director's Kut Productions|
|Written by||Saba Mumtaz
|Directed by||Romesh Kalra
|Creative director(s)||Vivek Bahl|
|Presented by||Star Plus|
|Opening theme||Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai By Alka Yagnik|
|Country of origin||India|
|Executive producer(s)||Vivek Jain|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Original channel||Star Plus|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)
|Original release||12 January 2009– Present|
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai (lit. What's this relationship called) is an Indian television drama that premiered on 12 January 2009 on Star Plus. The show, which focuses on the daily happenings within the household of an Udaipur family, is produced by Rajan Shahi's Director's Kut Productions. The show appears on Star Vijay, dubbed into Tamil and broadcast as Uravugal Thodarkathai.
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai is the story of a young couple Naitik and Akshara who live in a Marwari joint family in Udaipur. The story showcases their journey as husband-wife, and mother-father and the love that they have for each other and their lives with their loved ones. The show had seen Gaytri and Dadaji die. The show took a ten year leap.
- Current Cast
- Hina Khan as Akshara Naitik Singhania - Naitik's wife and Naksh and Naira's mother.
- Karan Mehra as Naitik Raj Singhania - Akshara's husband and Naksh and Naira's father.
- Rohan Mehra as Naksh Naitik Singhania - Naitik and Akshara's son.
- Ashnoor Kaur as Naira Naitik Singhania - Naitik and Akshara's daughter.
- Sandeep Mehta as Raj Shekhar Singhania - Naitik and Rashmi's father and Naman and Muskaan's step father.
- Kshitee Jog as Devyaani Raj Singhania - Naman and Muskaan's mother, Raj Shekhar's second wife and Naitik and Rashmi's step mother.
- Medha Sambutkar as Kaveri Mahendra Pratap Singhania - Nandini's mother
- Anshul Pandey as Naman Raj Singhania - Muskaan's elder brother, Karishma's husband and Mishti's father.
- Priyanka Udhwani as Karishma Naman Singhania - Naman's wife, Mishti's mother and Jasmeet's best friend.
- Sanjeev Seth as Vishambharnath Maheshwari - Shorya and Akshara's father.
- Lata Sabharwal as Rajshri Vishambharnath Maheshwari - Shorya and Akshara's mother.
- Vineeta Malik as Dadi - Akshara, Shorya and Anshumann's grandmother.
- Yash Gera as Shaurya Vishambharnath Maheshwari - Akshara's elder brother, Varsha's husband and Ananya's father.
- Pooja Joshi as Varsha Shaurya Maheshwari - Shorya's wife, Ananya's mother and Akshara's best college mate.
- Manu Malik as Omkarnath Maheshwari - Vishambhar's younger brother and Anshumann's father.
- Neelima Taddepalli as Sunaina Omkarnath Maheshwari - Omi's wife and Anshumann's mother.
- Shirin Sewani as Jasmeet Anshuman Maheshwari - Anshumann's wife and Anurag's mother.
- Ashish Kapoor as Nikhil Rajendra Deora - Rashmi's husband and Gayatri's father
- Neha Saroopa as Rashmi Deora - Nikhil's wife and Gayatri's mother.
- Ayush Agarwal as Mohit Agarwal - Nandini's husband and Yash and Anmol's father.
- Nidhi Uttam as Nandini Mohit Agarwal - Mohit's wife and Yash and Anmol's mother.
- Urmila Sharma as Rukmini Agarwal - Mohit and Koyal's mother and Yash and Anmol's grandmother.
- Former cast
- Shivansh Kotia as Naksh Naitik Singhania
- Baby Mishka Jain as Naira Naitik Singhania
- Navika Kotia as Prerna Singhania
- Nairitya Chandola as Ananya Shaurya Maheshwari
- Zarina Roshan Khan as Muskaan Raj Singhania
- Amit Dolawat as Alok
- Aman Sharma as Anshuman Omkarnath Maheshwari
- Sonali Verma as Gayatri Raj Singhania
- Sanjai Gandhi / Abhijit Lahiri as Mahendra Pratap Singhania
- Rakesh Deewana as Maharaj
- Ather Habib as Shaurya Maheshwari
- Ali Merchant as Rituraj
- Sanjai Gandhi as Mahendra Pratap Singhania
- Anurag Nigam as Chikki's love interest and teacher
- Sonal Shrivastava as Juhi
- Avinash Wadhavan as Vishambharnath Maheshwari
Reception and impact
Yeh Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai was cited for its lack of realism of female characters, wherein a female character would dress up in a colorful sari and much makeup to then make breakfast for her family and wash dishes. Its dubbed Telugu version became popular among Telugu audiences causing much distress among the Telugu entertainment industry and calls to ban it and other dubbed shows.