Yeh Saali Zindagi
|Yeh Saali Zindagi|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sudhir Mishra|
|Produced by||Prakash Jha|
Aditi Rao Hydari
|Music by||Nishat Khan
|Cinematography||Sachin Kumar Krishnan|
|Distributed by||Cine Raas Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.|
|Running time||134 Minutes|
|Box office||10.75 crore|
Yeh Saali Zindagi is a 2011 Hindi Romantic thriller directed by Sudhir Mishra. The film stars Irrfan Khan, Chitrangada Singh, Arunoday Singh and Aditi Rao Hydari in the lead roles. The film was released on February 4, 2011 to positive critical acclaim and was moderately successful at the box office.
Arun (Irrfan Khan) is a Chartered Accountant who works for Mr. Mehta (Saurabh Shukla) and helps him run his illegal business. Arun is in love with Priti (Chitrangada Singh), but she falls for Shyam (Vipul Gupta) who was introduced to her by Arun.
After Bade, a gangster of Delhi (Yashpal Sharma), falls out of favour of Minister Verma (Anil Sharma), he is sent to jail and humiliated and beaten everyday on orders of the minister. Satbeer (Sushant Singh) is a dishonest cop who works for Bade and helps him in the jail. Kuldeep (Arunoday Singh) who is also in jail with Bade is released and goes to his wife Shanti (Aditi Rao Hydari). Bade's brother, Chote (Prashant Narayanan) and his gang of members, Kuldeep, Tony, Chacha, Guddu and others plan Bade's release by kidnapping Verma's to be son-in-law, Shyam and daughter, Anjali (Madhvi Singh). Things do not go as planned and they end up kidnapping Shyam and his girlfriend Priti. In order to ensure Shyam's safety, Priti agrees to liaise between Verma and the gangsters, not knowing that Arun had been following them since the abduction. She meets Anjali, Verma and Shyam's father. However, Mr. Verma, who comes to know about Shyam's affair with Priti refuses to negotiate Bade's release. Arun, in the meantime, transfers illegal and hawala money into the bank accounts of Verma's son and threatens him with leaking this information to media if he does not ensure Bade's release. However, it comes to light that Chote wants to get Bade out only to get details of his bank accounts and plans to kill him. Learning of this, Bade gives the details of his foreign bank accounts to Kuldeep.
Upon being rescued from the prison, Chote unexpectedly comes from Georgia and meets Bade. In the meantime, police reach the spot and in the cross fire, Bade escapes from Chote and is helped by Kuldeep and his gang. However, he gets shot in the back and later commits suicide. With Bade dead and Chote looking for him, Kuldeep decides to leave the country and asks Shyam's father for a ransom of 15 crores. Priti, under the guise of calling Mr. Singhania, calls Arun. Arun reaches the spot and tells Priti that he transferred 17 crores into her account which should be used by her to free Shyam and herself and live a happy life. Priti, now realizes that she loves Arun.
Priti brings the money to a port from where Kuldeep plans to escape. Chote also reaches there, but Satbeer double crosses him and Kuldeep kills Chote, to avenge the murder of his father. However, one of the bullets hits a railing and richotes, and hits Arun. The gangsters leave the spot and Priti confesses to Arun that she loves him.
- Irrfan Khan as Arun
- Chitrangada Singh as Priti
- Arunoday Singh as Kuldeep
- Aditi Rao Hydari as Shanti
- Saurabh Shukla as Mehta
- Sushant Singh as Satbeer
- Vipin Sharma as Tony
- Yashpal Sharma as Bade
- Prashant Narayanan as Chote
- Vipul Gupta as Shyam
- Tarun Shukla as Guddu
- Madhvi Singh as ministers daughter
Sukanya Verma from Rediff.com rated it 3.5/5 calling it a "A twisted entertainer" and further stated that "Yeh Saali Zindagi rocks, it's wonderfully unrestrained and entertaining with its mouthful of zingers penned by Mishra and Manu Rishi".
Blessy Chettiar from the DNA also gave it 3 out of 5 saying that "Yeh Saali Zindagi, is chaotic but enjoyable, just like its hatke title Mishra presents a thrilling and hatke account of two men and the lengths they go to for love".
Mayank Shekhar from Hindustan Times gave the film 3 out of 5. On the review aggregator website ReviewGang, the film has received a 6.5/10 rating. On Rotten Tomatoes website Yeh Saali Zindagi has received a 75% fresh rating.
Yeh Saali Zindagi opened well at the box office scoring 4.50 crore net over its first weekend. It remained steady throughout its first week grossing 7.5 crore net. The film saw a huge drop in its second week, due to the release of Patiala House and grossed just 3 crore net. It finished its lifetime collections at 10.75 crore net. It was declared "Below Average" by Boxoffice-India.
|Yeh Saali Zindagi|
|Soundtrack album by Nishat Khan|
|Nishat Khan chronology|
|1.||"Dil Dar Ba Dar"||Shilpa Rao & Javed Ali||5:54|
|2.||"Ishq Tere Jalwe"||Shilpa Rao & Javed Ali||5:37|
|3.||"Kaise Kahein Alvida"||Javed Ali||4:15|
|6.||"Yeh Saali Zindagi"||Sunidhi Chauhan, Kunal Ganjawala & Shilpa Rao||5:01|
|7.||"Yeh Saali Zindagi (Bonus Song)"||Abhishek Ray||3:28|
|8.||"Yeh Saali Zindagi (Female Version)"||Sunidhi Chauhan & Shilpa Rao||5:02|
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi: Cast and Crew details". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- "Saat Khoon Maaf Poor Opening Patiala House Dull First Week". Box Office India. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- "It’s Yeh Saali Zindagi". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 2011-01-12.
- "Release Dates". Bollywood Hungama.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi gets rave reviews". Oneindia.in. February 5, 2011.
- "Times of India - Yeh Saali Zindagi Review". Times of India. Feb 3, 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi review: A twisted entertainer". Rediff.com. 3 Feb 2011.
- "Masand: 'Yeh Saali Zindagi' surprises you". IBN Live. 3 Feb 2011.
- "Kaveree Bamzai - Yeh Saali Zindagi review". India Today. 3 Feb 2011.
- "Review: Yeh Saali Zindagi is chaotic but enjoyable". DNA India. 3 Feb 2011.
- "Mayank Shekhar's review: Yeh Saali Zindagi". Hindustan Times. 3 Feb 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi Reviews". Review Gang. 3 Feb 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi Picks Up At The Box Office". Box Office India. 7 Feb 2011.
- "Yeh Saali Zindagi Has Steady Second Weekend". Box Office India. 15 Feb 2011.
- "Saat Khoon Maaf Poor Opening Patiala House Dull First Week". Box Office India. Retrieved 19 Feb 2011.
- "All India 2011 (Figures in INR Crore)". Box Office India.