|Elevation||205 m (673 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Yellandu, formerly Yellandalapadu is a town and a nagar panchayat in Khammam district in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. It is home of the Singareni Collieries Company Limited, a coal mining company.The Important fact about Yellandu is the present coal mining company SCCL have its mines opened in this town first, and coal in this area is Identified in the time of British ruling, hence the names for the seams King, Queen etc., this town has got +100 years of History about coal mining, and produced good mining engineers too. Singareni is the railway station that caters Yellandu. Actually colleries means a coal mine and all the infrastructure which is part of it, and singareni colleries means a colleries which is located at singareni. So actually the name of this town was Singareni in the erstwhile Hyderabad state and hence the SCCL company was named after it. However later after the Hyderabad state was merged in India the name of the town was changed to Yellandu.
As of 2001[update] India census, Yellandu had a population of 42,417. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Yellandu has an average literacy rate of 70%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 78%, and female literacy is 62%. In Yellandu, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Yellandu is one of the towns in Yellandu Mandal in Khammam District in Andhra Pradesh State . Yellandu is Main Town for the Yellandu Mandal and also MandalHead. Yellandu is 45.8 km distant from its District Main City Khammam. It is 194 km away from its State Main City Hyderabad. Nearby villages are Rompaid (2 km), Sudimalla (7.1 km), Komararam (8.5 km), Kambalapalli (11.2 km), Usirikayalapalli (11.5 km). Nearest towns are Yellandu (5.7 km), Singareni (14.2 km), Bayyaram (21 km), Garla (22.4 km). Challa Samudram, Manikyaram, Marrigudem, Raghaboinagudem, Rompaid, and Sudimalla are the villages along with this village in the same Yellandu Mandal.
Yellandu Pin Codes are 507123,507124 and post office name is Yellandu. Other villages in Post Office (507123, Yellandu) are Usirikayalapalli, Bethampudi, Koyagudem, Sulanagar, Rompaid and Sudimalla. Bhuga vagu dividing yellandu which is started from yellandula padu cheruvu it is a seasonal nallah, at present drainge water also dischared into this stream. yellandu town is heart of singareni coal mines from olden days surrounded with all the old and abandoned underground coal mines, coal deposits locked in that mines which are....strutt incline, Rompaid 1,2 inclines, old 21 incline,New Rompaid(Donga chintala area),23 incline,24 incline, 20 pit mine, polampalli mine, jawahar jkani 1,2, 3 coal mines.some of the mine entries are also we can see in the town at no.2 basthi, manu kota busstand, singareni high school premises, 21 pit areas,which are called as 'ANGAR BAI" for the purpose of ventilation in mines in the Britishers time. Zandala vagu, kotilingala, koragutta,yellandu to kothagudem bus route, mango gardens around the yellandu are picnic spots with beautiful flora and fauna. BRITISHERS SAMADHI we can see at 24 area as a historical relating to singareni mines in British era.
Yellandu is famous for festivals like Vinayaka Chavithi which was earlier celebrated more colorfully with ganesh pandals by marwadi samaj make them at district level, Diwali,Holi and Dussehra are major festivals a part from these are Sankranthi, Kotamaisamma Jaathara is one of the famous Jaathara's here. Bathukamma is also celebrated here during Dasara season.shavalu at jammi grounds in dussera.
The main schools in Yellandu are
- Singareni Collieries High School – Place with experienced teachers
Singareni Collieries High School popularly known as S.C.High School started in 1977 to provide good education for the children working for Singareni Collieries Coal Mines. As years passed by this School which started at JK Colony became a good English Medium School for the whole town.
- The Government high school, famously known as JBS, established before about 50years back located near by new bus stop. The school had about 1000 students. It the symbol for discipline and punctuality. This is the only govt school which gives tough competition for other private schools in the town. There are many famous personalities who are well settled in life and contributes their knowledge for nation development who were studied in the school. the school has a cricket ground.
- Singareni Collieries Upper Primary School – This School is the second of schools started by Singareni Collieries way back in 1979–80. Geographically located on the other end of the town and away from S.C.High School. This school has an average of about 650 students from Lower Kindergarten (LKG) to 7th grade. Telugu medium students start from 1st grade whereas English medium students start from LKG. Has very good sporting facilities with a full size Football/ Cricket ground.
- Montessori High School: This is the first full English medium school that was started by Mr. Jose Nedum Thundum in the year 1995-96.sivakumar.A was the first student of this school Later was developed to branches in No 2 Basti, JK Colony, Aam Bazar.... Now this school operates two branches one in Aam Bazar which is called as the Central School and the other in JK Colony, which is called as High School. This school is very famous for its discipline and technical strength of the teachers. This is the only English Medium school which proved to be the best competitor for the Singereni School. It built a very good reputation in a very less time span and still the No. 1 in the town.
- Shubodaya Convent/Shubodaya High School: This school started in earlier '90s is one of the leading schools in Yellandu. This school offers classes from Nursery to 10th class but only in Telugu Medium. This is the No. 1 School in Telugu Medium to date.
- SSGV - Also known as Sri Saraswati Gurukula Vidyalayam in Subhash Nagar yellandu. It is famous for producing students who are NRI's now and known for its discipline and Telugu medium education. The school was founded in 1988 by N.Ramarao and his brothers along with their friend N.Prasadarao.
- Zilla Parishad secondary high school located at 21 pit.
- Margadarshini High School. Which has three branches spread around Yellandu.
Yellandu has several Junior Colleges - Saahithi, Merit, Sadhana, ravindra bharati Junior colleges along with a Government Junior College.
- Three years ago one concept school is also started in Yellandu. Its name is Kakatiya Concept school also known as K.C.S. It was started in the place of Sarada Vidyaniketan in Indira Nagar. This school has two branches, one in Indira nagar, and one in 24 area. The branch which is located in Indira Nagar is known as high school and which one is located in 24 area is known as kakatiya kid's.
- Bharath Public School founded in 1993 by Mr. B.Mohan Rao at Subhash Nagar.
- Masterminds School located near Subhash nagar founded 2004 by Mr. V. Mahendran.
- Bharatheeya Vidya Nilayam also known as BVN School (English and Telugu medium) located in writer Basthi Yellandu, founded by P.Vijaya Lakshmi and P.Mohan Rao in year 1998/1999.
- AHS BOJJAIGUDEM located near Yellandu also named as Ashrama High School.It is a govt school many of the students from this school are working as Scientists,Engineers and teachers in all over India and abroad.
- Sabarmathi High School is one nice institution and having management known for their skillful teaching, located near by Indira Nagar.
- A new school also started in Yellandu. Its name is M.R.G. Narayana high school.
- SRR Engineering College: Sri Raja Rajeshwari Engineering college, located in Karepalli, 6 km from the Yellandu town. This college offers B. Tech in Electronics and Communications, Electrical, IT, Computer Science and Mechanical streams. It also provides MBA Course works.
- Sree Kavitha Engineering College: This college is also located in Karepalli, 6 km from the Yellandu town. This college offers B. Tech in Electronics and Communications, Electrical, IT, Computer Science and Mechanical streams. It also provides MBA, MCA and M.Tech Course works.
One of the most interesting things about these colleges is that these two colleges will be opposite to each other and most competitive. But the students of both the colleges will be like of the same.
Telugu Desam Party Had Won The Assembly Seat In 2009 Elections, Abbaiah Vooke has Become the Member Of Legislative Assembly. Congress won Municipalicty Chairmanship.Apart from TDP and Congress CPIML(New Democarcy) and TRS are the Other leading parties in town with CPI(ML) having its birthplace and one and only MLA position in the Assembly of Andhra Pradesh in the past. sri.Gummadi Narsaiah garu elected several times as a MLA from yellandu be half of CPI ML (NEW DEMOCRACY), with his simplicity and easily available his presence to all when needed.and state mahila secretary congress party leader is katakam padmavathi
Yellandu is a place rich in spiritual organisations like Pyramid Spiritual Society, Gayatri parivar and Brahma Kumaris. It has numerous temples and kotamysamma jatara is a very big event which takes place during Dussera and with lot of crowds gathered.Apart from this Yellandu has two famous Darga Hazrath Khaseemdullah Darga sharif at No.2 Basthi and around 8 kilometer from Yellandu in the Forest one more very famous darga is situated, name Hazrath Nagulmeera Darga sharif. Sri Durga matha pooja especially in "Dasara navarathri utsavalu " at singareni coal mines is a traditional, highlighting the bhakti of singareni employees .
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Yellandu
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.