Yellow Submarine Songtrack
|Yellow Submarine Songtrack|
|Soundtrack album / compilation album by The Beatles|
|Released||13 September 1999|
|Recorded||1965–1968 at EMI, Olympic and De Lane Lea studios, London|
|Label||Apple, Capitol, EMI|
|The Beatles chronology|
Yellow Submarine Songtrack is a compilation/soundtrack album by the Beatles for the 1999 re-release of the 1968 film Yellow Submarine. The film was re-released on 13 September 1999 in the United Kingdom and the following day in the United States. In sharp contrast with other Beatles remasters available, the songs were fully remixed from the original multitrack tapes, something not done for the original Compact Disc release of the Beatles catalogue in the late 1980s (except for Help! and Rubber Soul), nor the 2009 remastered albums.
This album contains only the Beatles songs used in the film, including tracks absent from the original Yellow Submarine album. The extra tracks replaced the George Martin film score from the original release, while the complete score was included as a DVD audio track in the CD/DVD package featuring the album and film.
The album debuted in the UK charts at No. 8 selling 19,000 copies in its first week. It also peaked at No. 15 on the Billboard 200, with 68,000 copies sold in its opening week. In France the album debuted at No. 13.
It was reissued on CD on 4 June 2012 (5 June in North America) along with the film restored for DVD and Blu-ray release. While the original 1999 release was in a jewel-case, the 2012 version was released in a digipak, with the booklet and catalogue numbers the same as the earlier version, with a 1999 copyright date on the disc, and a 2012 date on the digipak.
The remixed tracks of the album feature many alterations and adjustments from the original stereo recordings. Almost all of The Beatles songs included in the film are on Yellow Submarine Songtrack. An exception is "A Day in the Life", which was not put in because EMI did not want too many songs from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band to be included. Although all of the tracks were remixed, the songs included on Songtrack are the standard catalogue recordings that were previously available on other releases. Consequently, the additional verse heard during "It's All Too Much" and the off-the-cuff rendition of "Think for Yourself" heard earlier in the film are not included on the album. In addition, "I Am The Walrus" is missing from the album, even though it is briefly heard in the film.
The title track, "Yellow Submarine," contains the line "a life of ease" from John Lennon that had been missing in prior stereo mixes of the song. The replies from Lennon to the main lyric are gradually panned and faded from the right side of the stereo field to the left. The sound effects in this version are also more pronounced.
"Hey Bulldog" was entirely recorded on only one four-track tape. The piano and drum performances were recorded together onto one track and were inseparable for a new mix. They remain on the left audio channel while the vocals and the snare overdubs performed by Ringo Starr are centred.
The automatic double tracking that possibly erroneously continued into the first verse on the 1966 stereo version of "Eleanor Rigby" was corrected in the 1999 remix. Additionally, the string octet is separated in a similar fashion to the Anthology 2 instrumental. The vocals by Paul McCartney are centred and slightly out of synch to the orchestration on this mix.
The prior stereo version of "Love You To" contains a shorter fade than the initial mono recording. This shortening is retained in the Songtrack version.
Acoustic guitars and percussion are situated at the left channel for the new mix of "All Together Now". McCartney and Lennon's vocals are centred while the chorus is split across the left and right. The background vocals heard on the second verse are more audible and the guitar is clearer.
The Songtrack version of "Only a Northern Song" marked the appearance of the song for the first time in true stereo. The original 1969 stereo album featured a synthesised Duophonic variant of the original mono version. A stereo mix of this song also appeared on the Anthology 2 compilation album, but was made up of alternative takes featuring different overdubs and lyrics.
A number of unique promotions were launched to accompany the re-release of Yellow Submarine in 1999. These include a commemorative postage stamp series, action figures of the main characters and wide variety of assorted Yellow Submarine merchandise, such as mousepads.
Eurostar trains were painted in Yellow Submarine motif. In addition, a life-size yellow submarine was taken out on a publicity tour across the globe.
|1.||"Yellow Submarine"||Ringo Starr||2:38|
|2.||"Hey Bulldog"||John Lennon and Paul McCartney||3:14|
|3.||"Eleanor Rigby"||Paul McCartney||2:06|
|4.||"Love You To"||George Harrison||3:01|
|5.||"All Together Now"||John Lennon and Paul McCartney||2:10|
|6.||"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"||John Lennon||3:28|
|7.||"Think for Yourself"||George Harrison||2:18|
|8.||"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"||Paul McCartney (verses) and John Lennon (bridge)||2:02|
|9.||"With a Little Help from My Friends"||Ringo Starr||2:44|
|10.||"Baby, You're a Rich Man"||John Lennon||3:03|
|11.||"Only a Northern Song"||George Harrison||3:27|
|12.||"All You Need Is Love"||John Lennon||3:57|
|13.||"When I'm Sixty-Four"||Paul McCartney||2:37|
|14.||"Nowhere Man"||John Lennon (with Paul McCartney and George Harrison)||2:44|
|15.||"It's All Too Much"||George Harrison||6:28|
The CD/DVD package contains the album, as well as a DVD of the film with a remixed and remastered soundtrack, the original 1968 mono film soundtrack, and an isolated track of George Martin's complete score.
This album was also available on a yellow vinyl LP, with tracks 1-9 on Side One and 10-15 on Side Two.
- [dead link]
- "Rolling Stone Music | Album Reviews". Rollingstone.com. 30 August 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- Yellow Submarine Songtrack norwegianwood.org. Retrieved on 26 July 2007.
- "austriancharts.at The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Retrieved 07 January 2014.
- "ultratop.be The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien (in Dutch). Ultratop. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "ultratop.be The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien (in French). Ultratop. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "Top Albums/CDs" (PHP). RPM. 04 October 1999. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "dutchcharts.nl The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Hung Medien. MegaCharts. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste" (in French). infodisc.fr. Retrieved 13 January 2014.
- "Album Search: The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (in German). Media Control. Retrieved 01 January 2014.
- "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1999" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. Retrieved 01 January 2014.
- "イエロー・サブマリン 〜ソングトラック〜／ザ・ビートルズ-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック" [Highest position and charting weeks of Yellow Submarine Songtrack by The Beatles]. oricon.co.jp (in Japanese). Oricon Style. Retrieved 01 January 2014.
- "norwegiancharts.com The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP). Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- "swedishcharts.com The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (ASP) (in Swedish). Retrieved 01 January 2014.
- "The Beatles - Yellow Submarine Songtrack - hitparade.ch" (ASP). Hung Medien (in German). Swiss Music Charts. Retrieved 01 January 2014.
- "The Beatles > Artists > Official Charts". UK Albums Chart. Retrieved 01 January 2014.
- "allmusic ((( Yellow Submarine Songtrack > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. Retrieved 01 January 2014.
- Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4-87131-077-9.
- ""RIAJ > The Record > December 1999 > Certified Awards (October 1999)"". Recording Industry Association of Japan (in Japanese). Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "British album certifications – The Beatles – Yellow Submarine Songtrack". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 15 September 2013. Enter Yellow Submarine Songtrack in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Beatles, The – Yellow Submarine Songtrack". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 15 September 2013. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH