Yellowhead Township, Kankakee County, Illinois
|Established||May 9, 1853|
|• Supervisor||Joseph Fetcho|
|• Total||43.93 sq mi (113.8 km2)|
|• Land||43.9 sq mi (114 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2) 0.07%|
|Elevation||696 ft (212 m)|
|• Density||61.5/sq mi (23.7/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60401, 60940, 60954|
|GNIS feature ID||0429967|
Yellowhead Township is one of seventeen townships in Kankakee County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 2,700 and it contained 1,065 housing units. Yellowhead Township derives its name from the Potawatomi warrior, Yellow Head, whose village was located at what is now Yellowhead Point.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 43.93 square miles (113.8 km2), of which 43.9 square miles (114 km2) (or 99.93%) is land and 0.03 square miles (0.078 km2) (or 0.07%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
(This list is based on USGS data and may include former settlements.)
- Judson at
(These towns are listed as "historical" by the USGS.)
- Washington Township, Will County (north)
- West Creek Township, Lake County, Indiana (east)
- Momence Township (south)
- Ganeer Township (southwest)
- Sumner Township (west)
The township contains these three cemeteries: Saint Paul Lutheran, Scherburnville Christian and Union Corner.
Airports and landing strips
- Love Field
- Mussman Airport
The township is governed by an elected Town Board of a supervisor and four trustees. The township also has an elected assessor, clerk, highway commissioner and supervisor. The township office is located at 7090 North Bull Creek Road, Grant Park, IL 60940.
- Illinois' 11th congressional district
- State House District 79
- State Senate District 40
- Grant Park Community Unit School District 6
- "Yellowhead Township, Kankakee County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Houde, Mary Jean; John Klasey (1968) Of the People, a Popular History of Kankakee County, General Printing Co, Chicago.