Yemassee (Amtrak station)
Yemassee Amtrak Station as seen from the Old Salkehatchie Highway grade crossing
|Address||15 Wall Street
Yemassee, SC 29945
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Passengers (2013)||14,915 2%|
The Yemassee Amtrak station is an Amtrak station in Yemassee, South Carolina. Located at 15 Wall Street (erroneously listed as 9 Main Street in the Amtrak timetable and at Amtrak.com), the station consists of a covered platform on the northwest side of the northeast-southwest tracks, a small parking lot, and a building. The building is mostly boarded up, but it does have a small waiting room for Amtrak passengers. It also contains a freight depot. Both the station and the freight house were originally built by the Charleston and Western Carolina Railway. The current station house was built around 1955 as a replacement for several other stations in the past. The station was later run by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad.
Yemassee is served by the Palmetto and Silver Meteor trains of Amtrak's Silver Service. Both trains pass through Yemassee, near the growing towns of Beaufort and Hilton Head, at roughly the same times of the day; the northbound Palmetto and southbound Silver Meteor do so in the morning, while the southbound Palmetto and northbound Silver Meteor come through in the evening.
The town is in the process of purchasing the station from Amtrak as part of a local revitalization effort.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2013, State of South Carolina" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. Retrieved 3 December 2013.
- Cerve, Kate (10 March 2010). "Yemassee buys train depot, the cornerstone of town's renovation". The Island Packet. Retrieved 2010-03-11.
- Amtrak – Stations – Yemassee, SC
- Yemassee Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Great American Stations - Yemassee, SC
- Yemassee ACL/C&WC Depot (South Carolina Railroad Structures)
- Street Map from MapQuest
|This South Carolina train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|