Yemen Coast Guard
The Coast Guard's duties include countering smuggling, illegal immigration, and piracy. The Yemen Post reports that Yemeni Coast Guard forces have engaged in combat with corrupt elements of other Yemeni security organs.
Some of its fleet were formerly United States Coast Guard vessels, or were built to the same design as USCG vessels. According to the Wall Street Journal shipping firms can hire US trained Yemeni Coast Guard personnel to help guard their vessels during their transit of Yemeni waters.
- "Interviews: Commander of Yemeni Coast Guard Forces Ali Ahmed Ras’ee". Yemen Post. 2009-02-09. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
The tasks of coastguard forces are stipulated in the establishment decree, and these tasks are varied. The coastguard forces have security and not military functions, including keeping order in Yemeni ports and launching patrols in Yemeni coasts and regional waters. Other tasks are limiting illegal immigration, protecting national waters against indiscriminate fishing, protecting environment against pollution, fighting piracy, rescue and search activities.mirror
- "Yemen Coastguard foils piracy attempt on oil tanker". Maritime Security. 2011-08-24. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
A coastal defense commander told reporters that a naval force patrol had detected the attempt on Tuesday and intervened to prevent the hijacking. The oil tanker continued on its way to the Port of Aden, he said.mirror
- "Coastguard says Border Security Aiding Smugglers". Yemen Post. 2010-04-10. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
Clashes erupted Wednesday between coastguards and border security forces in Hudaida province when coastguards searched boats suspected of carrying smuggled goods. Local sources said the confrontations started when border security forces prevented coastguards from doing their job to inspect suspected fishing boats, adding such clashes between the forces are not new.mirror
- "Coast Guard Awards Contract to Build Two 87-foot Protector-class Coastal Patrol Boats for the Yemen Coast Guard". United States Coast Guard. 2009-09-11. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
Since 2003, the USCG has delivered eight 44-foot Motor Life Boats, twelve 25-foot Defender Response Boats, and four 42-foot Fast Response Boats (SPC-NLB) to the Yemen Coast Guard. The USCG has also provided 26 mobile training team visits and 54 resident training slots in USCG schools to the Yemen Coast Guard.mirror
- Margaret Coker (2011-01-04). "U.S. Military Aid Is Available for Hire in Yemen". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2011-12-04.
The Yemeni Coast Guard, working through private companies, is renting out servicemen and patrol boats—including vessels given to Yemen by the U.S.—for commercial ships seeking armed escorts against piracy.