|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2007)|
The Yeren (Chinese: 野人; pinyin: yěrén; literally: "wild-man"), variously referred to as the Yiren, Yeh Ren, Chinese Wildman (Chinese: 神农架野人; pinyin: Shénnóngjiàyěrén; literally: "The Wildman of Shennongjia") or Man-Monkey (Chinese: 人熊; pinyin: Ren Xiong; literally: "Man Bear"), is a legendary creature said to be an as yet undiscovered hominid residing in the remote mountainous forested regions of western Hubei.
Witnesses typically report the creatures to be covered in reddish colored hair. Some white specimens have also been sighted. Their height is estimated to range from six to eight feet, although some colossal examples allegedly in excess of ten feet tall have been reported. Overall, it is smaller than the American Bigfoot. Like Bigfoot, the yeren is peaceful and will generally quietly walk away when encountering people in the Zhejiang province.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (October 2009)|
Some cryptozoologists have drawn a link between the Yeren and the extinct hominid Gigantopithecus, which formerly inhabited the general region. It has also been suggested that the Yeren is actually a new species of orangutan, one that is ground-dwelling, bipedal and native to mainland Asia instead of Borneo or Sumatra.
It is also thought that the Yeren might just be a legend. The Yeren apparently dwells in a region already rich with superstition and strange phenomena, including an inordinate occurrence of albinism in the local fauna, adding to its mystique. It has been connected with ancient Chinese legends of magical forest ogres and man-like bears.
In popular culture
- Wildman of China is Monster in My Pocket #119.
- The Chinese Wild Man shows up in John Carpenter's film Big Trouble in Little China.
- Yerens appear as monsters in Iron Lore Entertainment video game Titan Quest. They can be found in Act III (Orient mission) of the game.
- The Syfy channel's show Destination Truth searched for the Yeren in episode 12 of season 3.
- The Yeren is the main issue in 2014 Russo-Japanese film Yeren-San.
- List of topics characterized as pseudoscience
- Almas (cryptozoology)
- Bukit Timah Monkey Man
- Orang Mawas
- Orang Pendek
- Pangboche Hand
- Wild man
- Frank Dikötter (1997). The Construction of Racial Identities in China and Japan: Historical and Contemporary Perspectives. C. Hurst & Co. Publishers. pp. 30–31. ISBN 1-85065-287-2.
- "The Yeren". monstrous.com. 2009-11-24. Retrieved 2010-04-02.
- Mysteries of the Unexplained. Reader's Digest Press. 1982. p. 164.