Yerevan State Medical University
|Yerevan State Medical University|
|Երեվանի Պետական Բժշկական Համալսարան|
YSMU was founded in 1920. The highest administrative organ is the University Council, which convenes at least twice a year. The Council makes decisions about the main activities of the University. The Rectorate of the University controls the way the decisions are realized during the intervals between the University Council sessions. The hospitals, clinics and centers are involved in the University Council of Clinics. The Rector of YSMU carries out the direct control of the University Council, the Rectorate and the Board of Clinics.
Ranking & Reputation
Yerevan State Medical University (YSMU) is a highly reputed University in the world, which occupies its honorable place in WHO (World Health Organization) directory of medical schools. It is a leading government medical University in Eastern Europe( Formerly Russia ).
In 2012, the Yerevan State Medical University is ranked 10437 in the world byWebometrics ranking and 5140 in the world by 4icu World University ranking.. YSMU established direct partnership in the form of cooperation agreements with about 20 universities around the globe, including a number of leading universities such as Boston University, Columbia University, Philadelphia University, etc. In the framework of these cooperation agreements, various academic programs, student exchange and joint research activities are implemented.
Faculties & Departments
The faculties or the departments are the structures organizing the academic process. These faculties are: General Medicine, Stomatology, Pharmacy and Military medicine. After graduating from the University the students enter Residency. The main units in the academic process are the chairs, where students, interns and residents get their education. Almost all the theoretical chairs are located in the 3 blocks of the University. The Clinical Chairs are located in the University Hospital, and different hospitals and clinics of Yerevan. 661 representatives of the teaching staff, including 8 academicians, 122 doctors of medical science and 375 candidates to doctor of medical science work at different chairs.
The department of International Affairs, International Students' Dean's office and premedical Department organize the study of foreign students.
The educational process is carried on in the Armenian, Russian and English languages, and the medical students learn theoretical and clinical subjects according to the curriculum and the duration of the academic course of studies. The education is both paid and free of charge.
The educational process of foreign students is organized by the Department of International Relations, the Dean's Office for Foreigners and Preparatory Department. Foreign students are provided with hostels equipped with good facilities.
Health resorts, camps and rest homes in picturesque regions of Armenia provide adequate rest for our teaching staff and students. For foreign students hostels are provided. The University has two hostels. The first is located on 23 Koryun str., not far from the University: it is for the students of the premedical department, the other one is located in the district Nor Zeytun of Yerevan, in the students' town.
A medical college functions in the University. It prepares paramedical personnel and has a 3-year curriculum. Students with the best achievements may be transferred to the University. The library, which is equipped with modern technique, enables in the academic and research processes.
Various entertainments organized by the Students' Parliament, Students' Scientific Society and numerous sport and culture clubs play an undoubtedly important role in the students' life. The newspapers Apaga Bzhishk (Future Doctor) and Medicus, with sections in the Armenian, Russian and English languages are published.
Rector, Prof. Mikayel Z. Narimanyan
Co-organized scientific meetings
- 4th Young Medics International Conference, September 20–23, Yerevan
- OMI/FARFAA Satellite Symposium "CARDIOLOGY", June 23–24, 2006, Yerevan
Scholarships - Fellowships
Students of YSMU have an exclusive chance of acquiring various nominal scholarships. Nominees for grants are chosen based on demonstrated excellence in academics as well as proven interest and participation in both scientific and social activities.
- The most prominent students of YSMU are awarded with "Mkhitar Heratsi scholarship" (generally 2 scholarships each year), named after Mkhitar Heratsi.
Mkhitar Heratsi was the great Armenian scientist and doctor of the 12th century is the founder of Armenian classical medicine. Included in his work were the study of feverish and infectious diseases, their etiology, pathogenesis, clinic prophylactics and treatment. He also studied the anatomy of the eye, the urinary tract and many other diseases. Since 1989 Yerevan State Medical University has been named after Mkhitar Heratsi.
The following nominal scholarships are also available:
- Named after Hakob Hovhannisian (1875–1937)
Biochemist, professor, founder of Biochemistry department, first rector of the Yerevan State Medical University.
- Named after Grigor Areshyan (1881–1957)
Honored scientist of ASSR, obstetrician-gynecologist, professor, founder of the Obstetrics/Gynecology department at the Yerevan State Medical University.
- Named after Vahan Artsruni (1857–1977)
Honored scientist of ASSR, anatomist, hygienist, ophthalmologist, professor.
- Named after Levon Orbeli (1882–1958)
Physiologist, professor, academician of AS USSR, AMS USSR and AS ASSR, general-colonel of medical service.
- Named after Levon Hovhannisyan (1885–1970)
Therapist, cardiologist, medical historian, professor, academician of AS ASSR, honored scientist of USSR
- Named after Rouben Yelyan (1894–1955)
Professor, Head of department of faculty Surgery, correspondent member of AMS USSR, honored scientist of Armenian SSR.
- Named after Varfalamey Fanardjian
Professor, academician of AMS USSR, honored scientist of USSR, founder of X-Ray in Armenia.
There are also special nominal scholarships specifically rewarding the progress of the foreign students of YSMU. Those students receiving these nominal scholarships also possess privileges in the further choice of clinical specialization.
- Ivan Gevorkian - Prominent Armenian surgeon and scientist.
- Vahan Artsruni - Armenian rock musician, singer, composer and artist
- Bella Kocharyan - Wife of former Armenian President Robert Kocharyan
- Garik Martirosyan - Neurologist, entertainer, TV host, actor, comedian and singer
- Parounak Zelveian - President of Armenian Medical Association
- Jaswinder Baijal - Australian Doctor
- Zhora Harutyunyan - Writer and playwright
- Arin Balalian - GP physician, Public health specialist, Social activist
- Hayk Papukhyan - physician
- Sarkis Baghdasarian - Cardiologist Saudi Arabia MOH .
- Yerevan State Medical University, Armenia
- Yerevan State Medical University (YSMU)
- Armenian Medical Students' Parliament
- American University of Armenia
- Armenian State Institute of Physical Culture
- Armenian State Pedagogical University
- Eurasia International University
- Russian-Armenian (Slavonic) University
- State Engineering University of Armenia
- Yerevan State University
- Yerevan State Linguistic University
- Yerevan State Musical Conservatory