||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
|Birth name||Yesser Roshdy|
|Born||November 2, 1986|
|Occupation(s)||Rapper, Singer, Songwriter|
|Years active||2004 – present|
|Labels||SPEC Entertainment BV|
Yesser Roshdy (in Arabic ياسر رشدي) ( pronunciation: Yasser Roushdy), better known by his stage name Yes-R (b. 2 November 1986 in Amsterdam) is a Dutch rapper and television presenter, who was born to an Moroccan father and a Egyptian mum. Before going solo, he was part of the Dutch hip hop formation D-Men. He has also appeared in films 'n Beetje Verliefd and Gangsterboys.
Beginnings and D-Men period
Yesser originates from East Amsterdam. Inspired by his cousin rapper Ali B, Yes-R started rapping at age of 12. A year later, he entered a talent contest, coming second. In 2003, he was introduced by rapper Negativ to Lange Frans, the frontman for rap formation D-Men who was impressed of Yes-R's flow. Lange Frans went to work with the production of Yes-R's recordings. The first song "Chickiesflasher" was an underground hit and became part of the compilation CD De gastenlijst. He was featured on the single "Sletje" ("(Little) Slut") by Baas B, another hit in the clubs. He was featured on the debut single of Maritza entitled "Laat je gaan" (loosely translatable as "Go Wild").
In 2004, Yes-R won the audience award of the Grand Prize of the Netherlands in music ("Grote prijs van Nederland"). This created publicity for him. He also got notoriety through many contributions to the D-Men mixtapes De Straatremixes Deel 2 and De Straatremixes Deel 3 with many songs and samples.
Yes-R decided to leave D-Men in 2005 alongside most of its members after disagreements with the D-Men Entertainment record label, and its founding owners, namely rapper Lange Frans and rapper-singer Baas B. He signed instead to his cousin Ali B's record label. Yes-R never discussed the details of the commercial conflict with D-Men, but hinted to it in his song "Het spijt me" ("I'm sorry")
In 2005, his debut solo album Mijn pad ("My Path") was soon released where Yes-R is autobiographical telling his personal story about his life, visions and future prospects. He worked along with Soesi B as a backup vocalist and with Derenzo and DJ Kesh. He also toured throughout the Netherlands to promote his solo career. His concurrent first single with Mijn pad was released in March 2005 called "Stel je voor" featuring Baas B.
But far more notorious for chart success was the Ali B famous track "Leipe mocro flavour" Video on YouTube with Brace and Ali B, "mocro" meaning "person of Moroccan descent". It was released just days before the debut single. The Ali B single took him to #2 in Dutch Singles Chart and a #3 position in the Mega Top 50.
Yes-R begins has been able to target a broad audience and appears through his DVD releases. He is regularly featured not only on urban-oriented programs, but also makes an effort to take part in children shows and talk shows and has become one of the best selling rapper acts in Netherlands, winning many awards including TMF Award for "Best Newcomer" in 2006. Although Yes-R is successful on the charts, he has been suffering from stream of criticism about his commercialism by some other Dutch hip hop personalities and the Dutch people..
In June 2008, Yes-R had a chart-topping hit in Surinam entitled "Uit Elkaar" ("Breaking Up"). It also had success in the Netherlands, reaching #14.
In 2009, Yes-R made a voiceover role in the animated film Sunshine Barry en de discowormen playing the part of Tito, a bassist in the band, in one of the leading role alongside those of Jim and Sita.
In popular culture
- Yes-R won the audition for a McDonald's advertising campaign thus getting more recognition with youngsters.
- Yes-R has taken part in public awareness campaign for a safer Netherlands.
- Alongside the Dutch television programme Baantjer character Jurriaan 'Jurre' de Cock tries to teach youngsters that they do have a choice.
- He also had a hit through a joint single "Vecht mee" ("Join the Fight") with Chantal Janzen, a sensitive song about cancer.
- In 2005, he appeared on many children television programs including Kinderen voor Kinderen where he performed the single "Terug naar toen" ("Back to Then").Video on YouTube
- In 2008 Yes-R presented the Nickelodeon program Hihi met Sisi
- On 19 April 2008, he appeared in the Dutch game show Ik hou van Holland
- In 1 March 2008 he presented the Kids Top 20 when the original presenter Monique Smit had problems in her vocal cords.
- Yes-R has appeared on the Dutch television program Jensen! and many other talk shows.
- After the murder of Theo van Gogh Yes-R joined Riza in being featured on Ninthe single in the song "Actueel vandaag" ("News Today"). The single was published as a non-commercial release.
- In 2007 and 2008, he won Hunk of the Year award by Girlz! teen magazine and Hitkrant music. In 2009, he was also shortlisted for a second Hunk of the Year award from Hitkrant.
- Music awards
- 2004: Grote Prijs van Nederland (Grand Orix of Netherlands Music Award)
- 2005: Dutch Dutch Mobo Award for Best Single for "Leipe mocro flavour" jointly with Ali B and Brace
- 2006: TMF Award for best Newcomer
- 2009: TMF Award winning TMF Pure Award
- Film awards
- 2007: Golden Film (in Dutch Gouden Film) award for 100,000 viewers for 'n Beetje Verliefd
- 2010: Golden Film (Gouden Film) award for 100,000 viewers for Gangsterboys
- Feature films
- 2006: 'n Beetje Verliefd as Omar (English title Happy Family)
- 2009: Sunshine Barry en de discowormen as Tito
- 2010: Gangsterboys as Apo, a Turkish rapper
- 2009: Dierentuin
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
Dutch Top 40
Single Top 100
|2005||"Stel je voor"
(feat. Baas B)
|"'n Beetje verliefd"||17||23|
(feat. Soesi B)
(feat. Chantal Janzen)
(Yes-R - Ali B - Lange Frans)
(Yes-R - Darryl - Sjaak - Soesi B)
(Ali B, Yes-R & Brownie Dutch)
(Yes-R & Angela)
|"Als er geen morgen was"||–||78|
|"Ben je ook voor Nederland? -
(Wolter Kroes, Yes-R & Ernst Daniël Smid)
(feat. Sidney Samson)
- Featured in
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2005||"Leipe Mocro Flavour"
(Ali B feat. Brace & Yes-R)
|"Kan me niet meer schelen"
(Eddy Zoëy feat. Yes-R)
(Akon feat. Ali B & Yes-R)
(Ali B feat. Yes-R & The Partysquad)
(Ali B feat. Yes-R, Gio & Darryl)
|2008||"Bij je zijn"
(Fouradi feat. Yes-R)
|2011||"What A Wonderful World"
(Dean Saunders feat. Yes-R)
(Nils van Zandt feat. Yes-R)
- "DutchCharts.nl: Yes-R - Albums discography". dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "DutchCharts.nl: Yes-R - Singles discography page (Single Top 100)". dutchcharts.nl. Hung Medien. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yes-R.|