Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
|"Yes Sir, I Can Boogie"|
|Single by Baccara|
|from the album Baccara|
|Format||7" single, 12" maxi|
|Length||4:37 (album version)
3:15 (single version)
|Writer(s)||Frank Dostal, Rolf Soja|
|Baccara singles chronology|
"Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" is a 1977 hit single by the Spanish vocal duo Baccara.
Written by Frank Dostal and Rolf Soja, and produced by Soja, this standard disco song was a major hit across Europe and became the duo's sole number one single in the UK, spending a single week at the top in October 1977. It did not chart in the United States, despite receiving airplay in several markets. It is one of the fewer than 10 all-time singles to have sold 15 million (or more) copies worldwide, currently being #7 on the list of best-selling singles of all time, with an estimated total of 18 million. Baccara were Spanish flamenco dancers Mayte Mateos and Maria Mendiola, who were dancing flamenco and singing traditional songs for tourists on the island of Fuerteventura when RCA Records executive Leon Deane signed them up.
- 7" single (Europe & US)
- "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" — 4:28
- "Cara Mia" — 2:53
- 12" maxi single (US only)
- "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" — 6:50
- "Yes Sir, I Can Boogie" — 6:50
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||2|
|Belgium (VRT Top 30 Flanders)||1|
|Europe (Eurochart Hot 100 Singles)||1|
|Finland (Suomen virallinen lista)||1|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||1|
|Netherlands (Dutch Top 40)||1|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||33|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||1|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||1|
- Finnish musician M. A. Numminen recorded a German version of the song.
- In 1978, Czech singer Věra Špinarová recorded cover "Já mám ráda boogie".
- In 1977, a sound-alike cover of the song was featured on the album Top of the Pops, Volume 62, using uncredited studio singers and musicians. When the album was released on iTunes in 2008, it was credited to Top of the Poppers.
- In 1981, Brotherhood of Man recorded the song on their 20 Disco Greats / 20 Love Songs album.
- In 1993, transgendered Israeli singer Dana International recorded the song on her first album Danna International.
- ABBA cover act Björn Again recorded a cover version that appears on the second disc of their double album Flash Back!/Live
- In 2000, Nina Miranda of Smoke City fame covered the track for the soundtrack of the movie Born Romantic.
- In 2003, Goldfrapp included a live cover version with altered lyrics titled "Yes Sir" on the Dutch edition of their album Black Cherry.
- In 2003, Sophie Ellis-Bextor has also performed the song live and recorded a studio version for the B-Side of her single "I Won't Change You".
- In the 2005 film Kinky Boots, it is sung by Chiwetel Ejiofor during the final monologue and over the credits.
- In 2006, Tanja Thomas covered the song on her album, My Passion.
- In 2008, Mexican band La Gusana Ciega also recorded a cover for their cover album Jaibol.
- In 2008, The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain included a cover of the song on their live album, Live in London #1.
- In 2010, a cover was recorded by Australian singer Christine Tski for her album Life in Auto-Tune.
- In 2013, the band Sala & The Strange Sounds released the song in April 2013 featuring Mayte Mateos (half of the original Baccara).
- Prima Vera made a parody of the song with lyrics about a fisherman who is denied access to a night club because he smells like fish
- [Murrells, Joseph (1978). The Book of Golden Discs (2, illustrated ed.). Barrie & Jenkins. ISBN 0-214-20480-4]
- "Baccara – Yes Sir, I Can Boogie – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "yes sir, i can boogie - baccara". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Retrieved 25 July 2013. Hoogste notering in de top 30 : 1
- Pennanen, Timo (1977). Sisältää hitin - levyt ja esittäjät Suomen musiikkilistoilla vuodesta 1972 (in Finnish) (1st ed.). Helsinki: Tammi. ISBN 9789511210535.
- "Baccara – Yes Sir, I Can Boogie". Officialcharts.de. GfK Entertainment.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "I singoli più venduti del 1977". HitParadeItalia (in Italian). Creative Commons. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
10. Yes Sir, I Can Boogie - Baccara [#30]
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Baccara search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Baccara – Yes Sir, I Can Boogie". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 21 July 2013.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Baccara – Yes Sir, I Can Boogie". VG-lista.
- Salaverri, Fernando (September 1977). Sólo éxitos: año a año, 1959–2002 (1st ed.). Spain: Fundación Autor-SGAE. ISBN 84-8048-639-2.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Baccara – Yes Sir, I Can Boogie". Singles Top 60.
- "Baccara – Yes Sir, I Can Boogie – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- UK Singles Chart Chartstats.com (Retrieved April 10, 2008)
- Christine Tski clip on YouTube
- Video on YouTube
"Silver Lady" by David Soul
|UK number one single
October 29, 1977
"The Name Of The Game" by ABBA