Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah
|Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah|
|117-06 84th Ave.
Queens, New York
Queens, New York, 11418
|Rosh Yeshiva||Rabbi Kalman Epstein and Rabbi Sholom Spitz|
|Mashgiach||Rabbi Mattis Roberts|
Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah is a yeshiva in Queens, New York that includes a high school and a program for post-high-school-age men (yeshiva gedola). The Yeshiva also awards Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Talmudic law. It was founded in 1974 by Rabbis Kalman Epstein and Sholom Spitz. The Yeshiva has become the focal point of the Orthodox community in the Kew Gardens neighborhood of Queens and of the broader Jewish community as well.
In 1974, Rabbi Kalman Epstein and Rabbi Sholom Spitz, founded Yeshiva Shaar Hatorah in the Richmond Hill neighborhood of Queens at the behest of R' Spitz's teacher, Rabbi Mordechai Elefant. The yeshiva was officially a branch of "ITRI" (Israel Torah Research Institute, the yeshiva in Israel started by Rabbi Elefant). The Yeshiva was named "Shaar HaTorah", after the yeshiva in Grodno (in Europe), where Rabbi Epstein's great-grandfather, Rabbi Shimon Shkop, had been the rosh yeshiva. At the time, Rabbi Epstein gave the lecture (shiur in Hebrew) to unmarried, post-high school men, and Rabbi Spitz headed the kollel. A year after the founding of the yeshiva, Rabbi Kalman Epstein's father, Rabbi Zelik Epstein, joined the yeshiva. Later, a high-school was added when a high-school relocated from Boro Park to Queens. Today, Rabbi Spitz still gives the shiur to the freshman and sophomore students, while Rabbi Kalman Epstein lectures to the Junior, Senior, and Graduate students. Rabbi Kalman's son, Rabbi Shimon Epstein gives the lower lecture during Rabbi Spitz's Semi Sabbatical.
- Rabbi Kalman Epstein, Rosh Yeshiva
- Rabbi Sholom Spitz, Rosh Yeshiva
- Rabbi Mattis Roberts, Mashgiach Ruchni
- Rabbi Shmuel Munk, Rosh Kollel
- Rabbi Yaakov Grossman, Shoel Umaishiv
- Rabbi Yitzchak Bilitzky, Shoel Umaishiv
- Rabbi Shimon Yehuda Epstien, Rosh Chaburah
- Rabbi Yaakov Margulies, Chozer
- Rabbi Yosef Licht, 9th Grade Rebbe
- Rabbi Shlomo Lobenstein, 10th Grade Rebbe
- Rabbi Akiva Beinish Weiner, 11th Grade Rebbe
- Rabbi Ya'akov Bergman, 12th Grade Rebbe
- Rabbi Avrohom Jurkowitz, Mashgiach Ruchni
- Rishon- Daniel Eisenreich
- Sheini- Mordechai Shimon Siegal
- Shlishi- Eliyahu Grunhaus
- Revii- Dovid Saloman
- Gabai Seforim- Yechiel Katz, Meir Wiener
- David Weisberg
- Jose Vietnam- Chief of operations
- Timmy OBM- Deputy Chief of Operations Emeritus
- R' Meir Triebitz, teacher in Machon Shlomo, and noted lecturer
- R' Betzalel Rudinsky, Rov of large shul in Monsey, Rosh Yeshiva of Ohr Reuven, and noted posek
- R' Shmuel Rosenshein, executive director of Yeshivas Chofetz Chaim, Brooklyn
- R' Yechezkel Langer, executive director of Yeshivas Yesodei Yeshurun in Queens
- R' Zev Klein, rebbi in Yeshivas Toras Moshe
- R' Zev Reichman, rebbi in the Yeshiva University mechina
- R' Shmuel Ismach, Associate Rabbi of the Young Israel of Great Neck, Rebbe and Mashgiach in Yeshivas Chof HaTzafon (North Shore Hebrew Academy High School)
- R Menachem Levine, Rabbi in San Jose California
- R' Ami Cohen
- Rabbi Avraham Stienberg, Rabbi of the Young Israel on Main Line, PA
- Rabbi Y. Dov Krakowski, Director of OU Kosher in Israel, Noted author, and Noted Anglo Posek in Jerusalem
- Rabbi Chaim Cohen, Rosh Kollel and Posek of Waterburry
- "Sha'ar Hatorah".
- Tannenbaum, Gershon (23 July 2010). ""Rav Zelik Epstein zt"l, A Tribute, On His First Yahrtzeit, Tomorrow, 13 Av". Matzav. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- see http://itri.webs.com/en.html
- "Meet the Faculty". Yeshiva University. Retrieved 6 May 2011.