Yeshiva World News
|Headquarters||Brooklyn, NY, USA|
|Area served||USA, Israel|
|Founder(s)||Judah (Yehudah) Eckstein|
|Key people||Judah (Yehudah) Eckstein, Yechiel Spira, Dov Gefen|
|Owner||Judah (Yehudah) Eckstein|
|Type of site||News, News aggregation & blogging|
Yeshiva World News started as a news aggregation blog. It has since grown to an independent news source with freelance reporters and photographers in addition to continuing as a news aggregator. It is known for providing news of interest to the Orthodox Jewish community. Its web page header says "Frum Jewish News" (frum is the Yiddish term for a religiously observant Jew).
The website was redesigned in 2010. It has sections containing general news items and Israeli news, as well as religious news, and news tailored around Jewish lifecycle events and the Jewish calendar. Many features are relevant to Jewish observance, including articles about Torah and Jewish law, kosher recipes, and the streaming radio feature.
News departments include:
- U.S. & world news with a separate Israel department
- Business news
- News and photos of prominent Rabbis
- News from Shomrim (volunteer community patrols) around the world.
- Kashrus news from the Chicago Rabbinical Council
- Human Interest items
- Health news
Non-news features include:
- Op-Ed articles
- Torah Corner (Halacha/Parsha)
- Jewish Book Reviews
- Food & Recipes
- A current events forum
- A 24-hour Jewish music stream
- A detailed calendar of events in Jewish communities - mainly in the New York area
- Community event listings (weddings, births, deaths, etc.)
- Weather reports for cities around the world
- Emergency and non-emergency service phone numbers in all areas.
- The Coffee Room, a message board for members of the site
- The main site is directed by Yehuda Eckstein, from Brooklyn.
- The YWN Israel Bureau is directed by Israeli journalist Yechiel Spira formerly of Arutz Sheva and editor at Jerusalem Kosher News.
- Rabbi Moishe Dovid Lebovits, Rabbinical Administrator KOF-K Kosher Supervision, authors the daily halacha.
- Another notable contributor is New York City Councilman David G. Greenfield, Esq., formerly executive vice president of the Sephardic Community Federation and director and counsel of TEACH NYS who was featured in the Inside Politics feature.
- Journalists Yossi Gestetner & Chaskel Bennett also contribute frequently with opinion pieces.
- The technology and development is done by Duvys Media, from Lakewood, NJ.
There has been some controversy regarding the fact that YWN will not post any stories which portray Orthodox Judaism in a bad light. For example, they omitted most reports on the child abuse scandals in Orthodox Yeshivos, as well as the scandal with Leib Tropper and EJF in 2009. Additionally, YWN has failed to address the recent call by leading Orthodox Rabbis for all chareidi websites to shut down, despite many readers asking why it was ignored.
Additionally, the Coffee Room moderators have been criticized for biased moderation. They will allow posts which support their point of view, and will allow attacks on other views. For example, attacks on Modern Orthodox Judaism are regularly published, but nothing is allowed through which speaks badly of Ultra Orthodox Judaism.
It has also been stated that during the campaign for NYC Council, many of the pro-Greenfield articles were written by Greenfield himself under a pseudonym.
- Nathan, Ben (August 21, 2008). "You Give Them 18 Minutes, They Give You The World". 5 Towns Jewish Times. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Shooting near Jewish girls' school". WABC-TV. March 17, 2008. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- "Check out our newest design" (Press release). Duvys Media.