|Mayor of Thessaloniki|
January 1, 2011
|Preceded by||Vasilis Papageorgopoulos|
June 13, 1942 |
|Alma mater||University of Thessaloniki
Wine Institute of Athens
Yiannis Boutaris (Greek: Γιάννης Μπουτάρης; born 13 June 1942) is a Greek businessman, politician and current mayor of Thessaloniki. In 2012 he was chosen as 'the best mayor of the world' for the month of October, by the City Mayors Foundation, based in the UK. He is the founder of KIR-YIANNI wine company, based in Giannakochori and Amyntaio. He is one of the founding members of the Drasi party and Arcturos ecological organization.
His primary education was at the Experimental elementary school of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, his secondary education at Anatolia College, and he graduated in chemistry from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 1965 and in oenology from the Wine Institute of Athens in 1967. In his youth he was associated with the Communist Party of Greece (KKE).
From 1969 to 1996 he worked for the family wine company Boutari , based in Naoussa. He left the family company to create the Kir-Yianni wine company, based on two estates in Giannakochori and Amyntaio, in 1998.
- "Yannis Boutaris speaker profile". IMIC 2012 conference. 15–16 February 2012. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- "Γιάννης Μπουτάρης" (in Greek). Drasi. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "The Mayor of Thessaloniki Yiannis Boutaris will build a house in his hometown Krusevo, identical to the one where his mother, from the Vlach Nichota family, lived, with recognizable ambiance and traditional Krusevo architecture.". Kanal 5 (in Macedonian).[dead link]
- Γιάννης Μπουτάρης Βιογραφικό σημείωμα υποψηφίου Δημάρχου Θεσσαλονίκης (in Greek). protovoulia2010.gr. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Thessaloniki mayor, Golden Dawn clash over bear sanctuary donation". Kathimerini. 22 August 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-05.
- City Mayors' Mayor of the Month for October 2012
- Official campaign website
- KIR-YIANNI company website
- Local elections ‘10: Vintage Boutaris for Thessaloniki, article by George Gilson in Athens News, 13 September 2010
|Mayor of Thessaloniki