||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Chinese Wikipedia. (May 2013)|
|Headquarters||Hohhot, Inner Mongolia, People's Republic of China|
|Chairman: Mr. Pan Gang|
|Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Company Limited|
Yili Group (Chinese: 伊利集团, p Yīlì Jítuán; full name: Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Company LimitedSSE: 600887) is a privately owned company of dairy industry in China. It is engaged in processing and manufacturing of milk products, including ice-cream, milk powder, milk tea powder, sterilized milk and fresh milk under "Yili" brand. It is headquartered in Hohhot, Inner Mongolia. Its main competitor in China is Mengniu.
The company was an official sponsor of the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
2008 Chinese milk scandal
Yili was implicated in the baby milk scandal after tests found its infant formula contained melamine. Yili recalled tainted milk powders and apologised to the public. Shares in other listed dairy companies fell strongly the next day. On discovery that their liquid milk was also contaminated, Yili was stripped of its status as a 'Chinese national brand'.
Hong Kong and Singapore authorities ordered a recall of Yili products after 8 out of 30 tested positive for melamine. Mengniu, whose product tested negative in Hong Kong government tests, and Yili liquid milk was immediately de-listed by supermarket chains after tests showed that contaminated samples had been found on the mainland.
As of 18 September 2008, no one is believed to have been made ill because of the tainted yoghurt. However, Hong Kong doctors found a stone in the left kidney of a three-year-old girl who had been drinking the contaminated Yili milk for 15 months.
In June 2012, Yili recalled some of its baby formula products after an "unusual" level of mercury was found by China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine (AQSIQ).
- "A Profile of Yili" (Archive). Yili Group. Retrieved on July 10, 2014.
- Background of Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Co., Ltd.
- Profile of Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Company Limited
- "内蒙古伊利实业集团股份有限公司 Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Co.,Ltd." (Archive). Fortune China. "公司总部地址： 内蒙古自治区呼和浩特市金山开发区金山大道8号"
- "PROGRAMA CONJUNTO FAO/OMS SOBRE NORMAS ALIMENTARIAS" (Archive). Food and Agriculture Organization. p. 30. Retrieved on July 10, 2014. "Inner Mongolia Yili Industrial Group Co. Ltd. No. 8, Jinsi Road, Jinchun Developing Zone 010080 Hohhot P.R. China"
- Lee Spears, "China Revokes `Inspection-Free' Right as Milk Scandal Spreads", Bloomberg (18 September 2008)
- Reuters, "Investors dump financials and dairy producers", South China Morning Post (18 September 2008)
- Yili, Mengniu, Bright Dairy lose their status as 'national brands', China Central Television (22 September 2008)
- Hong Kong recalls dairy products", BBC News (18 September 2008)
- Paggie Leung & Mary Ann Benitez, "HK store chains strip shelves of Mengniu goods", Page A2, South China Morning Post (20 September 2008)
- "Hong Kong recalls dairy products". BBC News. 18 September 2008.
- Lee Spears and Wendy Leung, China Milk Scandal Spreads; Hong Kong Girl Sickened (Update2) Bloomberg, (21 September 2008)
- "Yili Group". BBC News. 15 June 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-15.