Campbell, who is of Irish and Italian descent, grew up Catholic in a Philadelphia suburb. One of his aunts is a Catholic nun. A typical Campbell joke is that his aunt is a nun, "which of course makes Jesus my uncle, allowing for easier parking in Jerusalem." Campbell converted to Judaism with a Reform rabbi, and says that a "spiritual hunger" led him to have a second conversion with a Conservative rabbi. On a four-month visit to Israel in 2000 he decided to have a third conversion and live as an Orthodox Jew.
Campbell is the subject of a 2008 documentary film, Circumcise Me.
- ".". Jewish Exponent. Retrieved November 10, 2013.[dead link]
- "United Kingdom > National". Epoch Times. February 6, 2008. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- "JPost". Fr.jpost.com. Retrieved November 10, 2013.
- BWW News Desk (November 16, 2009). "Judy Gold to Join CIRCUMCISE ME's Yisrael Campbell for Talkback Series "FINAL CUT" 11/19". Broadway World. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
- So this Catholic goes to Israel... and other jokes from the Holy Land, The Globe and Mail, Michael Posner, May 5, 2008
- "Wildly Emotional – In a very quiet way," The Guardian, December 17, 2007.
|This article about an American comedian is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|