|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Municipal seat||Yicheng Subdistrict (宜城街道)|
|• Total||2,038.7 km2 (787.1 sq mi)|
|• Density||610/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Yixing (simplified Chinese: 宜兴; traditional Chinese: 宜興; pinyin: Yíxīng) is a county-level city with a population of 1.24 million administrated under the prefecture-level city of Wuxi in southern Jiangsu province, People's Republic of China, and is part of the Yangtze River Delta. With active modern industry as the economical fundamentals, it is more famous for traditional Yixing clay and the pottery made from that—especially the "zisha"-style teapots. It is also famous in China for thousands of scholars and scientists born here, among whom there are 12 academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences and 13 academicians of Chinese Academy of Engineering.
- Yicheng Subdistrict (宜城街道)
- Qiting Subdistrict (屺亭街道)
- Xinzhuang Subdistrict (新庄街道)
- Xinjie Subdistrict (新街街道)
Location and transport
Yixing is at the west side of Lake Tai and is almost at the centre of the triangle consisting of Shanghai, Nanjing and Hangzhou. Expressway lines connect Yixing with all main cities in Yangtze River Delta. The distances between Yixing and international airports in this area are:
- Hongqiao International Airport 190 km (118 mi), 2-hour-drive
- Pudong International Airport 242 km (150 mi), 2.5-hour-drive
- Lukou International Airport 108 km (67 mi), 1.5-hour-drive
There are shuttle buses between Yixing and this airport.
- Xiaoshan International Airport 180 km (112 mi), 2-hour-drive
- Sunan Shuofang International Airport 95 km (59 mi), 1-hour-drive.
There are two main expressway lines crossing Yixing: Yixing-Shanghai Expressway and Nanjing-Hangzhou Expressway. Since July 1st 2013, the High-speed railway (350km/h) Nanjing–Hangzhou Intercity Railway, which connects Yixing to Nanjing and Hangzhou, has been put into use, shortening the time of journey to 30 minutes.
Yixing is famous for its bamboo forest, water-eroded caves and beautiful natural landscapes. There are 5 national AAAA-level scenic areas in Yixing:
National Longbeishan Forest Park
Sacred Region of Taozu
There are some ancient relics like Guoshan Stele (Three Kingdoms period)*Camel Mound (or Luotuo Dun, Neolithic period).
Yixing county was established in 221 B.C.(Qin Dynasty) with the name of Yangxian(阳羡). Between 303 A.D. and 310 A.D., the local aristocrat Zhou Qi who was the eldest son of General Zhou Chu, suppressed rebellions three times. And then Yangxian was renamed Yixing( 义兴,meaning loyalty and prosperity ) to honor Zhou Qi. In 976 A.D.,Yixing(义兴) was renamed Yixing(宜兴) as a consequence of avoiding the use of the King's name (Zhao Kuangyi, Emperor Taizong of Song).
Yixing is among the top 10 county-level cities in China. There are one national Yixing Industrial Park for Environmental Science & Technology and two province-level industrial parks in Yixing.
|GDP (US$ billion)||GDP per capita (US$)||increase by (%)|
With 100 percent completion of compulsory education, Yixing has a developed educational system consisting of 79 kindergartens, 77 elementary schools, 39 middle schools, 11 high schools, 3 colleges and 2 special schools. The enrollment ratio in higher education reached 93 percent in year 2010.
- Zhou Chu a prominent General of the Jin Dynasty
- Chen Qingzhi a prominent General of the Liang Dynasty
- Xu Beihong a prominent painter
- Wu Guanzhong a prominent painter
- Pan Hannian a Chinese Communist intelligence agent
- Pan Xulun the father of Chinese accounting
- Zhou Jiannan a politician and bureaucrat
- Chu Anping a noted liberal journalist and editor
- Zhou Xiaochuan the 11th Governor of the People's Bank of China
- Sha Zukang the United Nations Under-Secretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs
- Hu Huanyong a founder of China's population geography
- Qian Xiuling a "National Heroine" of Belgium
- Ding Junhui a professional snooker player
- Academicians of Chinese Academy of Sciences and academicians of Chinese Academy of Engineering
- Zhou Peiyuan a theoretical physicist
- Tang Aoqing a theoretical chemist, the father of Chinese quantum chemistry
- Pan Shu a founder of Chinese psychology
- Shi Shaoxi an engineering thermal physicist
- Zhu Hongyuan a theoretical physicist
- Zhu jiming a virologist
- Wu Haoqing a physical chemist
- Zhang Zong a physicist
- Cheng Rongshi a polymer physicist
- Zhu Bangfen a condensed matter physicist
- Chu Junhao an expert on semiconductor
- Wu Yueliang a theoretical physicist
- Zhou Jing a geotechnologist
- Gao Dingsan an expert on semiconductor
- Sha Qinglin an expert on road engineering
- Xue Mingqiu an opticist
- Cheng Tianmin a military pharmacologist
- Chen Taiyi an expert on communication technology
- Wu Zhongru an expert on hydro-structure
- Tang Xisheng an expert on nuclear technology
- Chen Guoliang an expert on metal materials
- Huang Ruisong an expert on missile technology
- Chen Zhinan a cytologist
- Ren Nanqi an expert on water treatment
- Ding Rongjun an expert on vehicles
- "2011年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：宜兴市" (in Simplified Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved 2013-03-13.
- Yixing Municipal Government website (In Simplified Chinese characters)