- Yizhou (益州) is also an ancient name for the Sichuan basin
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|Township-level divisions||7 towns
2 ethnic townships
|• Total||3,869 km2 (1,494 sq mi)|
|Elevation||153 m (502 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
Yizhou is located in the northwest of Guangxi on the Long River in an area noted for its magificant karst formations. The limestone karst formations dot the city and surrounding country and beautiful rivers cut through the landscape. The city of Yizhou has several hundred thousand inhabitants. The surrounding country side is home to a number of ethnic Zhuang villages. The economy is centered on sugar production. Located near Yizhou is a British-Chinese jointly run sugar processing plant. The country side surrounding Yizhou is similar in appearance to the tourist Mecca Yangshuo, located in the east of Guangxi. While Yizhou has a convenient tourist infrastructure, foreign tourists are sparse.
Perhaps the most famous invidivual in the history of Yizhou is the legendary Song Dynasty singer Liu Sanjie 刘三姐, renowned for her beautiful singing voice. The people of Yizhou believe that Liu was born there and a statue of her is in the city center.
There are a Yishan Road and a Yishan light rail station in Shanghai named after the city.
On the 26 August 2008 an explosion at a chemical plant killed 20 people and injured many more. 11,000 were evacuated from their homes.
Yizhou administers 7 towns, 7 townships, and 2 ethnic townships:
- Qingyuan (庆远镇), Sancha (三岔镇), Luoxi (洛西镇), Huaiyuan (怀远镇), Desheng (德胜镇), Shibie (石别镇), Beishan (北山镇)
- Xiangjian Township (祥贝乡), Liusanjie Township (刘三姐乡), Pingnan Township (屏南乡), Luodong Township (洛东乡), Fulong Yao Ethnic Township (福龙瑶族乡), Beiya Yao Ethnic Township (北牙瑶族乡), Tongde Township (同德乡), Anma Township (安马乡), Longtou Township (龙头乡)
- McDonald, Joe. "Chinese Police Holding 20 After Farmer Protest Over Low Crop Prices." Associated Press 02 Nov. 2002. LexisNexis.
- Xinhua News Agency 27th August 2008
- "2011年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：宜州市" (in Simplified Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
|This Guangxi location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|