|Nickname(s): Leather Capital of Texas, Hub City of South Texas|
Location of Yoakum, Texas
Location of Yoakum, Texas
|Incorporated||May 13, 1889|
|• City council||Mayor Anita R. Rodriguez
|• City manager||Kevin Coleman|
|• Total||4.6 sq mi (12 km2)|
|• Land||4.5 sq mi (12 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||365 ft (111.3 m)|
|• Density||1,256.2/sq mi (485.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Yoakum is located at (29.291052, -97.147315).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.6 square miles (11.8 km²), of which, 4.6 square miles (11.8 km²) of it is land and 0.22% is covered by water.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Yoakum has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, 5,731 people, 2,156 households, and 1,515 families resided in the city. The population density was 1,256.2 people per square mile (485.3/km²). There were 2,529 housing units at an average density of 554.3 per square mile (214.1/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 73.29% White, 11.88% African American, 0.38% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 12.41% from other races, and 1.81% from two or more races. Hispanics or Latinos of any race were 33.89% of the population.
Of the 2,156 households, 35.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.3% were married couples living together, 15.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 29.7% were not families. About 26.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 15.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the city, the population was distributed as 29.1% under the age of 18, 9.0% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 19.8% from 45 to 64, and 17.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 90.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 85.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,680, and for a family was $30,556. Males had a median income of $23,226 versus $15,594 for females. The per capita income for the city was $14,835. About 16.0% of families and 20.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.4% of those under age 18 and 16.7% of those age 65 or over.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)|
- Carl St. Clair, music director
- Pappy Daily, American Country Music Producer
- Wayne Graham, Major League Baseball player and Baseball Coach at Rice University
- Hubert Renfro Knickerbocker, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author
- Obert Logan, former NFL safety for the Dallas Cowboys and the New Orleans Saints
- Charlie Hall, linebacker for Cleveland Browns and University of Houston
- Ryan Wagner, relief pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds and the Washington Nationals
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Yoakum, Texas
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Wayne Graham Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
- Walter Prescott Webb, Eldon Stephen Branda, The Handbook of Texas vol. 3 (1952), p. 482
- "Obert Logan". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved December 10, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yoakum, Texas.|
- Yoakum USA A tourism and business site sponsored by the City.
- Official City Website
- Yoakum From the Handbook of Texas