|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014)|
|Origin||Eugene, Oregon, United States|
|Genres||Doom metal, stoner rock, post rock|
|Labels||Neurot Recordings, Abstract Sounds, Metal Blade, Profound Lore|
|Past members||Lowell Iles
YOB was founded by the vocalist/guitarist Mike Scheidt in 1996. The original YOB was Scheidt with bass guitarist Lowell Iles and drummer Greg Ocon. However, by 2001 when the band's first album, Elaborations of Carbon, was recorded, the members were Scheidt, bass guitarist Isamu Sato (previously with the death metal band Thrombus) and Gabe Morley, the former drummer of Lightweight. Sato also operates H.C. Minds and Morley plays with Fingertrap.
Before founding YOB, Scheidt had been a bass guitarist with the hardcore bands Chemikill and Dirty Sanchez and also played bass guitar in H.C. Minds. The band's first demo, title YOB, was submitted to Stonerrock.com in 1999. In 2001, YOB recorded its first full-length record for 12th Records in Spokane, Washington, entitled Elaborations of Carbon. In 2002, YOB secured a recording contract with Abstract Sounds. The first CD for this label, Catharsis, had stronger production and three songs lasting 50 minutes. After its release, Morley was replaced as drummer by Travis Foster. YOB's third full-length release, The Illusion of Motion, was released on Metal Blade Records, following which YOB went on to headline a tour in May and June. The band released its fourth album, The Unreal Never Lived, in 2005.
Scheidt announced in a press release on January 10, 2006, that YOB was disbanding after almost ten years. Foster and Sato had left the band in July 2005, and after six months, Scheidt decided to call it off. At the same time, he also announced that he had been working on a new band called Middian.
In 2008, YOB reformed with the intention of performing a few live shows and releasing an album in 2009, which resulted in The Great Cessation on Profound Lore Records. The band also appeared in Europe at the 2010 Roadburn Festival in the Netherlands.
YOB has toured the United States extensively, alongside bands including Graves at Sea, Lamont, Tummler, Dove, Orange Goblin, Origin, Exhumed, The Locust, The Accüsed, Botch, Isis, Soilent Green, Uphill Battle, Playing Enemy, Will Haven, Dark Castle, Tool and Ghostride.
Aaron Rieseberg, Yob's bass guitarist, was selected from the band Norska, in which his older brother, Dustin Rieseberg, also plays.
- Mike Scheidt – vocals, guitar (1996–present)
- Aaron Rieseberg - bass guitar (2009–present)
- Travis Foster – drums (2003–present)
- Lowell Iles – bass guitar
- Isamu Sato – bass guitar
- Greg Ocon – drums
- Gabe Morley – drums
- Elaborations of Carbon (12th Records, 2002)
- Catharsis (Abstract Sounds, 2003)
- The Illusion of Motion (Metal Blade, 2004)
- The Unreal Never Lived (Metal Blade, 2005)
- The Great Cessation (Profound Lore, 2009)
- Atma (Profound Lore, 2011)
- Clearing the Path to Ascend (Neurot Recordings, 2014)
- YOB (2000)
- Belcher, Tony (October 2004). "Yob". Tartarean Desire. Retrieved February 11, 2008.
- "YOB - Interview with Mike Scheidt". Rebel Extravanganza. October 25, 2004. Retrieved February 11, 2008.
- "YOB: Oregonian Doom Metal Trio Join The Neurot Recordings Family". Neurot Recordings News. February 13, 2014. Retrieved February 14, 2014.
- Yob Signs With Profound Lore Records: News @ blabbermouth.net
- Yob - New Album Details, New Song Online