Yoheved "Veda" Kaplinsky (born March 23, 1947 in Tel Aviv, British Mandate of Palestine [now Israel]) is a classical pianist, lecturer and professor of music at the Juilliard School. She heads the Pre-college department at Juilliard.
She studied piano under Ilona Vincze-Kraus at the Israel Academy of Music and earned her bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees from the Juilliard School as a student of Irwin Freundlich. She continued her studies with Dorothy Taubman.
She began her teaching career at Philadelphia University of the Arts and then taught at the Manhattan School of Music in 1987. Between 1989 and 1997 she taught at the Peabody Conservatory in Baltimore.
In 1993 she began to teach at the Juilliard School. She became the chairperson of the Piano Division in 1997. She has served as a frequent adjudicator at prestigious international competitions, among them include the Tchaikovsky Competition in Moscow and the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition in Texas, where her student Joyce Yang won a second prize in 2005. She has been appointed by the Juilliard President Joseph Polisi as the Susan Rose Chair in piano and Artistic Director of the Juilliard School's Pre-College division.
Awards and honors
She was a second-prize winner of the J.S. Bach International Competition in Washington, D.C. and has performed at the Pianofest in Long Island, N.Y. and the Cliburn-T.C.U. Institute. She has performed at the Aspen Music festival and Bowdoin Summer festival since 2004 and 1995 respectively, and has served on the faculty of both. She won the Presidential Scholars Teacher Recognition Award in 2003.
- Zeeble, Bill (June 1, 2005). "Celebrated Piano Instructor Kaplinsky Counts Student as Cliburn Finalist". Fort Worth: North Texas Public Broadcasting/KERA.
Music is not only necessary, it is essential for survival, spiritually - V.Kaplinsky
- Madigan, Tim (May 15, 2005). Fort Worth Star-Telegram http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1K1-11a40d0000041074.html.
Veda's children play on (free article preview)Missing or empty
- Zeeble, Bill (June 1, 2005). "Why are Americans disappearing from classical music scene?". Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Ashkenazy, Vladimir. Collins Encyclopedia of Classical Music. Collins; new ed (2000) (ISBN 0-00-472390-2).
- The Juilliard School
- Van Cliburn TV
- Aspen Music Festival. "Side-by-Side Show with Yoheved Kaplinsky, Felicia He, and Nadia Azzi". www.youtube.com.