Yoine J. Goldstein
|Senator for Rigaud senate division|
August 29, 2005 – May 11, 2009
|Appointed by||Paul Martin|
|Preceded by||Gérald Beaudoin|
|Succeeded by||Jacques Demers|
May 11, 1934 |
Born in Montreal, Quebec, his education includes a Bachelor of Arts from McGill University in 1955, a Bachelor of Civil Law (with honours) from McGill University in 1958 (where he was selected as the Articles Editor for the McGill Law Journal), and a Doctor of Laws from the Université de Lyon in 1960. He was called to the Quebec Bar in 1961. He specializes in insolvency, bankruptcy and commercial litigation. Prior to becoming a senator, he was a senior and managing partner of the Montreal law firm, Goldstein, Flanz & Fishman. He is currently with McMillan LLP in Montreal as Senior Counsel. He is married to Elaine and has two children.
From 1973 until 1997, he was a lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the Université de Montréal. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and the American College of Bankruptcy. In 1992, he received the Lord Reading Law Society Human Rights Award, and the Lord Reading Law Society Service Award in 1998.
Active in Montreal's Jewish community, he was president of Federation CJA (a funding, planning, and coordinating body of services for some of the 93,000 Jews in Montreal) from 1995 to 1997. He is also a member of the Community Advisory Board of the Concordia University Chair of Canadian Jewish Studies.
He was vice-chairman of the Banking, Trade and Commerce committee and the Standing Committee on Banking, Trade and Commerce.
During the 40th Canadian Parliament he introduced the following bills: S-219: An Act to amend the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (student loans), S-220: An Act respecting commercial electronic messages, S-231: An Act to amend the Investment Canada Act (human rights violations), and S-232: An Act to amend the Patent Act (drugs for international humanitarian purposes) and to make a consequential amendment to another Act.
He retired, per Senate rules, on May 11, 2009, his 75th birthday.
- "Masthead, Volume 4". McGill Law Journal. 1957.
- "Yoine Goldstein". McMillan LLP. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "The Honourable Sen. Yoine Goldstein". LexisNexis. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "An Act to amend the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (student loans)". Library of Parliament. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "An Act respecting commercial electronic messages". Library of Parliament. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "An Act to amend the Investment Canada Act (human rights violations)". Library of Parliament. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "An Act to amend the Patent Act (drugs for international humanitarian purposes) and to make a consequential amendment to another Act". Library of Parliament. Retrieved 2009-05-08.