Yongxing Island Airport
|Yongxing Island Airport
Yǒngxīng Dǎo Jīchǎng
|IATA: none – ICAO: ZJYX|
|Operator||People's Liberation Army Air Force|
|South China Sea|
Yongxing Island Airport (Chinese: 永兴岛机场) or Woody Island Airport (ICAO: ZJYX) is a military airport located on Yongxing (Woody) Island, the largest of the disputed Paracel Islands in the South China Sea. Yongxing Island is administered by China as part of Sansha city of Hainan Province. The airport was completed in July 1990 to expand the combat range of Chinese warplanes.
Yongxing Island Airport has a 2,700-metre (8,900 ft) runway that is capable of handling any third-generation fighter aircraft of the Chinese airforce such as the Sukhoi Su-30MKK. The airport can handle airliners like a Boeing 737, but there is no scheduled airline service to the airport. The runway is paved concrete and unmarked.
- Taiping Island Airport
- Dongsha Island Airport
- List of airports in China
- List of People's Liberation Army Air Force airbases
- 专家建议造浮岛机场让战机作战半径覆盖南海 (in Chinese). Eastday. 4 June 2012. Retrieved 11 July 2012.
- Airport information for ZJYX at Great Circle Mapper.
- Bernstein, Richard; Munro, Ross H. (1998). The Coming Conflict with China. Vintage Books. p. 74. ISBN 978-0679776628.
- Chang, Andrei (26 September 2008). "Analysis: China's air-sea buildup". Spacewar.com. Retrieved 11 July 2012.