Yoonie Han performing at Alice Tully Hall, Lincoln Center, New York City on 16 April 2010
|Birth name||Han Yoon Jung|
|Also known as||Yoonie|
January 12, 1985 |
|Origin||New York City, New York, USA|
|Revised Romanization||Han Yunjeong|
Han attended the Juilliard School Pre-College Division in New York City from 2001-2003. Then from 2003–2007, she attended the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia studying with Eleanor Sokoloff, receiving her bachelor's degree in Music in 2007. From 2007-2009, she returned to the Juilliard School and studied with Robert McDonald, receiving her master's degree in Music in May 2009. Han is currently pursuing her Doctor of Musical Arts (D.M.A.) degree at SUNY at Stony Brook.
Her first competitive performance was at age 10, in the Seoul Philharmonic competition which she won, and that was followed by many more such engagements. In 2010, music critic Jon Sobel wrote that she will likely be among the premiere young pianists of the decade, "one of those natural-born performers who become one with the instrument—not trying to surmount it, as a more showy pianist might, but rather losing herself in the music like an actor merging magnetically with a role."
On February 19, 2005 Han performed the Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto Number 2 in C minor with the Pottstown Symphony Orchestra in Pottstown, Pennsylvania as part of their Masterworks II: Young Artist Showcase program. Han was selected as one of thirty-eight pianists worldwide and from May 9 to June 5, 2005 participated in the 2005 TCU/Cliburn Piano Institute Young Artists program in conjunction with the Twelfth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, performing at the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth and the PepsiCo Recital Hall at the TCU Walsh Center for Performing Arts.
On February 24, 2006 Han performed a 2-hour recital of Bach-Busoni, Mozart, Chopin, and Liszt at Dudley Recital Hall at the University of Houston. On July 23, 2006 Han performed as a soloist with the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra in their Bravo Beethoven concert at Artpark. As the 2005 Kosciuszko Foundation Chopin Competition winner, on November 4 and 19, 2006 Han performed solo recitals at the Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in New York.
On March 7, 2007 Han performed a recital at the Fifth Annual Steinway Piano Festival at Dauer Hall at the University of Florida. On September 15, 2007 Han opened the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra's 60th season, performing the Liszt Piano Concerto Number 1 in E-flat major in their Diamond Jubilee concert.
In June 2008, Han won the 2008 Juilliard Gina Bachauer International Piano Competition, along with Naomi Kudo. Along with a Lincoln Center recital, the winners received full tuition scholarships to Juilliard. On August 10, 2008 Han performed Mozart's Piano Concerto Number 22 in E-flat major, K. 482 at Eric Harvie Theatre with the Banff Festival Orchestra at the 2008 Banff Summer Arts Festival in Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada. On October 28, 2008 Han gave a recital at the Taft Museum of Art in Cincinnati, Ohio as the gold medalist of the 2008 Cincinnati World Piano Competition.
Han was selected from hundreds of pianists around the world as one of thirty pianists to compete in the Thirteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition in Fort Worth, Texas. On May 26, 2009 in the Preliminary Recital round of the competition, she performed music from Haydn, Chopin, and Granados but was not chosen to advance to the semifinals.
On June 10, 2009 Han performed in the Dame Myra Hess Memorial Concert Series at Preston Bradley Hall of the Chicago Cultural Center. The concert was also broadcast live on WFMT (98.7 FM) radio and Channel 25 television.
Han received the 2009 Gawon International Music Society of Seoul, South Korea award. This award is given to the "most brilliant pianist aged 17-31 of any nationality who possesses the most promising potential for global prominence, to provide support for the artist's continued development and maturation as a musician." Han performed a solo recital at the Sejong Center for the Performing Arts in Seoul, South Korea on September 19, 2009 as part of the award.
On May 22, 2011 Han won the First Prize and Audience Prize out of 149 entrants from 38 countries at the Fulbright Concerto Competition in Fayetteville, Arkansas. On May 28, 2011 Han won the First Prize, Louis A. Potter Award out of 222 entrants and 17 semifinalists at the 2011 Washington International Competition for Piano at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C.. On September 11, 2011 Han was one of six pianists in the world named a finalist for the Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli Prize awarded by the city of Eppan an der Weinstraße, Italy. On November 24, 2011 Han won the Rencontre International de Piano competition in Paris, sponsored by the Automobile Club de France.
On December 7, 2011 Han returned to perform a solo recital of Mompou and Granados at the Dame Myra Hess Memorial Concert Series at Preston Bradley Hall of the Chicago Cultural Center. The concert was also broadcast live on WFMT (98.7 FM) radio and wfmt.com.
On March 28, 2012 Han made her Kennedy Center solo recital debut in the Terrace Theater in Washington, DC. She played a program of Bach-Busoni Chaconne, Granados Goyescas “Los Requiebros” and “El Amor Y La Muerte,” Liszt En Rêve and La Campanella, and Schumann Carnaval. The recital was presented by the Friday Morning Music Club in honor of Ms. Han’s first prize in the 2011 Washington International Competition for Piano.
On July 18, 2012 WQXR-FM New York radio broadcast Han and Naomi Kudo's Dvorak “Two Slavonic Dances” and Han's Chopin Piano Concerto No. 2 with the New York Concert Artists Symphony Orchestra conducted by Vince Lee as part of their weekly McGraw-Hill Companies Young Artists Showcase program.
|December 2012||Steinway Artist||Steinway & Sons||New York City, New York, USA|
|24 November 2011||Winner||2011 Rencontre International de Piano competition sponsored by Automobile Club de France||Paris, France|
|11 September 2011||Finalist, Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli Prize (free masterclass with Arie Vardi including travel, room and board + 3 concerts in Eppan)||2011 Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli Prize awarded by the city of Eppan||Eppan an der Weinstraße, Italy|
|28 May 2011||First prize, Louis A. Potter Award (US $10,000 + 3 Washington, DC concerts including 2 at Kennedy Center)||2011 Washington International Competition for Piano||Washington, D.C., USA|
|22 May 2011||First prize (US $5,000 + US $12,000 Fulbright
College scholarship + 8 USA/Europe recitals)
Audience prize (US$1,000)
|2011 Fulbright Concerto Competition||Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA|
|29 April 2011||Fourth prize (certificate and €1,000)||2011 Premi Internacional Pianístic de Paterna||Paterna, Valencia, Spain|
|10 July 2010||The Keyboard Trust Career Development Prize
(US $2,000 + London and other concerts)
|2010 Concurso Internacional de Piano, The City of Florianópolis||Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil|
|14 October 2009||Semifinalist (US $1,000)||10th San Antonio International Piano Competition||San Antonio, Texas, USA|
|September 2009||2009 award winner (US $10,000, recital)||Gawon International Music Society||Seoul, South Korea|
|13 July 2008||First prize (gold medal)||52nd Cincinnati World Piano Competition||Cincinnati, Ohio, USA|
|June 2008||Co-winner (full scholarship, recital)||2008 Juilliard Gina Bachauer International Piano Competition||New York City, New York, USA|
|7 June 2007||Fifth prize (€4,000)||Second Helsinki International Maj Lind Piano Competition||Helsinki, Finland|
|2006||First prize (gold medal)||58th Nena Wideman Piano Competition||Shreveport, Louisiana, USA|
|5 May 2005||First prize (laureate, US $5,000)||56th Kosciuszko Foundation National Chopin Piano Competition||New York City, New York, USA|
|2005||Second prize||International Ettore Pozzoli Piano Competition||Seregno, Milan, Italy|
|2004||Winner - senior piano||Kathryn E. MacPhail Young Artist Competition||Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA|
|2001||Grand prize||Korea National Music Competition||Seoul, South Korea|
- Helsinki International Maj Lind Piano Competition 2007 - The competitors - Han Yoonjung
- 2005 TCU Cliburn Institute - Young Artists - Participants
- Ward, Charles. "2008 Ima Hogg National Young Artist Competition: The final four", Houston Chronicle (2008-06-06).
- Sobel, John. "Music Review: Yoonjung Han Plays Chopin and Mompou", Seattle Post Intelligencer (2010-10-06).
- InstantEncore - Yoonjung Han, piano biography
- Campman Piano Studio - Community Concerts and Recitals
- 2005 TCU Cliburn Institute > Young Artists > Participants > Han, Yoonjung
- Forum Polonia Houston - Eighth Annual Piano Concert featuring Yoonjung Han
- WNY Polish American Events - July 2006
- Consulate General of the Republic of Poland in New York > Calendar of Events 2006
- University of Florida - College of Fine Arts News - University of Florida Presents the Fifth Annual Steinway Piano Festival March 6-9, 2007
- Shreveport Symphony Diamond Jubilee - September 15, 2007
- JUILLIARD PIANISTS YOONJUNG HAN AND NAOMI KUDO OPEN 31ST SEASON OF THE MCGRAW-HILL COMPANIES' "YOUNG ARTISTS SHOWCASE"
- 2008 Banff Summer Arts Festival
- Taft Museum of Art - World Piano Competition Recital
- International Music Foundation - The Dame Myra Hess Memorial Concerts
- Vladimir Nielsen Piano Festival Presents Night of Piano Concerti
- Gawon International Music Society - 2009 Award Winner - Yoonjung Han
- Time Out New York - Opera & Classical - Yoonjung Han at Alice Tully Hall (Lincoln Center)
- Gina Bachauer International Artists Piano Competition Competitors 2010
- 2010 Concurso Internacional de Piano, The City of Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil
- Primer Premi Internacional Pianístic de Paterna – Results
- Fulbright Concerto Competition
- Friday Morning Music Club, Inc. – 2011 Washington International Competition for Piano
- 2011 International Piano Academy Eppan – The Pianists
- Alink-Argerich Foundation - Competition Results 2011 - Rencontre International de Piano, Paris
- The Washington Post: Pianist Yoonie Han hits sweet spot at Kennedy Center's Terrace Theater, 29 March 2012
- WQXR – The McGraw-Hill Companies Young Artists Showcase: Double Keyboard Delight
- Steinway & Sons – Steinway Artists – Last name begins with “H”
- The World Piano Competition
- Helsinki International Maj Lind Piano Competition 2007 - Results
- The Wideman Piano Competition - Past Winners
- The 58th Wideman Piano Competition - 2006 Winners
- Kosciuszko Foundation Announces Chopin Piano Competition Winners
- Concorso Pianistico Internazionale Ettore Pozzoli - Winner's List
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yoonjung Han.|