|Years active||2001 - present|
Yorgos Lanthimos was born in Athens. He studied directing for Film and Television at the Stavrakos Film School in Athens. Through the 90's he directed a series of videos for Greek dance-theater companies. Since 1995 he has directed a large number of TV commercials, in addition to music videos, short films and experimental theater plays. He has also been a member of the creative team which designed the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens.
His feature film career started with the mainstream film My Best Friend where he shared directing credits with mentor Lakis Lazopoulos and was followed by the experimental film Kinetta which premiered at the 2005 Toronto Film Festival. His third feature film Dogtooth won the Prix Un Certain Regard at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the 83rd Academy Awards. His fourth feature film Alps (2011) won the Osella Award for Best Screenplay (Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthimis Filippou) at the 68th Venice International Film Festival. The script for his fifth film "The Lobster" was awarded with the ARTE International Award as Best CineMart Project for 2013 at the 42nd Rotterdam International Film Festival.The filming will take place in Ireland.
|2001||My best friend||(co-director, with Lakis Lazopoulos)|
|2001||Uranisco Disco||(short film) |
|2005||Kinetta||Nominated-Golden Alexander at Thessaloniki International Film Festival |
|2009||Dogtooth||Prix Un Certain Regard
Prix de la Jeunesse
Dublin Film Critics Award
Hellenic Film Academy Award for Best Director
Hellenic Film Academy Awards for Best Screenplay
Special Prize of the Jury
Citizen Kane Award for Best Directorial Revelation
Nominated—Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
Nominated—BIFA Award for Best Foreign Film 
|2010||Attenberg||Actor as The Engineer, co-producer, |
|2011||Alps||Golden Osella for Best Screenplay
Official Competition Prize for New Directions in Cinema
Nominated— Golden Lion
Nominated—Chlotrudis Award for Buried Treasure
|Unknown||The Lobster||Upcoming film|
- 2002 D.D.D by Dimitris Dimitriadis, Theatro tou Notou (Amore-Dokimes)
- 2004 Blaubart by Dea Loher, Theatro Porta
- 2008 Natura morta in un fosso by Fausto Paravidino, Theatro tou Notou (Amore)
- 2011 Platonov by Anton Chekhov, National Theatre of Greece (New Scene – Nikos Kourkoulos)
- "Διάκριση για την ελληνική ταινία «Κυνόδοντας» στο Φεστιβάλ των Καννών". Ta Nea (in Greek) (tanea.gr). 2009-05-23. Retrieved 2009-05-24.
- Sakaridis, Yannis. "10 Greek Filmmakers to Watch". raindance.org. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "DOGTOOTH - Press Kit". Cannes Film Festival. festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- Pavlaki, Despina (2009-10-25). "Film: Dogtooth". Athens News. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- "Un Certain Regard Awards Ceremony". Cannes Film Festival. festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- Hernandez, Eugene (2009-05-23). ""Dogtooth" Wins Top Cannes Un Certain Regard Prize". IndieWIRE (indiewire.com). Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "Nominees for the 83rd Academy Awards". oscars.org. Retrieved 2011-01-25.
- "Ο Λάνθιμος στο Εθνικό" (in Greek). ANA-MPA. 2011-02-01. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Official website
- Yorgos Lanthimos at the Internet Movie Database
- Yorgos Lanthimos at the Greek Film Centre's website