York Cemetery, Toronto
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (May 2009)|
York Cemetery is a cemetery located in the city of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The property of York Cemetery was originally farmed by Joseph Shepard who bought the property in 1805. The brick farm house on the property was constructed by Joseph's son, Michael in 1837. In 1916, the Toronto General Burying grounds (now Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries) bought the property, but didn't start to convert the 172 acres (70 ha) for cemetery use until 1946, two years before the property officially opened. (1948). The cemetery once fronted on Yonge Street, but in 1966, eighteen and a half acres were sold to the city of North York (now part of Toronto). The cemetery has continued to develop, with the addition of a chapel and reception centre, and also the newly built "garden of remembrance".
It is unknown to the public if the Cemetery will develop the land it controls at the bottom of the ravine and neighbouring Burnett Ave Park. Cemetery officials have previously indicated an intention to develop these lands at community meetings.
- Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna of Russia, and her husband Captain Kulikovsky.
- Barbara Frum, journalist
- Henry Howey Robson, PTE, Second Battalion, The Royal Scots (The Lothian Regiment), British Army. Victoria Cross recipient for action in World War I.
- Tim Horton A former player of the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and co-founder of Tim Hortons, a Canadian restaurant chain
- Jesse Nilsson, actor
- Nick Harbaruk, hockey player
- Zoran Kosanović, Yugoslavian table tennis player
- Percy Saltzman, meteorologist, first weatherman on Canadian television
York Cemetery is one of the Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries, which includes:
- Beechwood Cemetery
- Duffin Meadows Cemetery
- Elgin Mills Cemetery
- Meadowvale Cemetery
- Mount Pleasant Cemetery
- Pine Hills Cemetery
- Prospect Cemetery
- Thornton Cemetery
- Toronto Necropolis
|This Toronto geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|