York Community High School
|York Community High School|
|355 W. St. Charles Rd..
Elmhurst, Illinois, 60126
|School district||Elmhurst Community Unit 205|
|Superintendent||David Pruneau |
|Average class size||21.4|
|School colour(s)||kelly green
|Slogan||This Is York|
|Fight song||Hail To York High|
|Athletics conference||West Suburban Conference|
|Average ACT scores||22.8|
|Newspaper||York Hi|
|Yearbook||Y's Tales|
York Community High School is a public secondary school in Elmhurst, Illinois, United States. Most of the students reside in Elmhurst; however, the district also draws a small number of students from Addison, Bensenville, and Oak Brook. York is the only high school in the district, which as a unit school district, also includes an early childhood center, eight elementary schools, and three middle schools.
Prior to 1918, Elmhurst operated a combined high school and grammar school, which was destroyed by fire in December 1917.
York was established in 1918. The building saw many additions from 1950 through 1990, including a third floor, a four classroom fourth floor, swimming pool, and additional facilities. After 2001, the city of Elmhurst passed a referendum to rebuild the school. Construction started soon after and the new building—opened in 2002—has separate academic, service, student commons and athletics areas (including a new fieldhouse).
In 2008, York had an average composite ACT score of 22.8 and graduated 94.4% of its senior class. York has not made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) on the Prairie State Achievements Examination, which with the ACT, are used as the assessment tools to fulfill the federal No Child Left Behind Act. One of York's three student subgroups failed to meet expectations in reading. In 2011, Newsweek ranked York Community High School 257 out of 500 in its annual list of America's Best High Schools. Overall, York ranks 31st in Illinois High Schools. York's student to faculty ratio is 16:1.
York High School competes in the West Suburban Conference. The school is also a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), which governs most sports and competitive activities in Illinois.
The school sponsors interscholastic teams for young men and women in basketball, cross country, golf, gymnastics, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, volleyball, and water polo. Young men may compete in baseball, football, and wrestling, while young women may compete in badminton, bowling, cheerleading, and softball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the school also sponsors teams for young men and women in lacrosse, and a poms team for young women. Also while not sponsored by the IHSA, York has a men's hockey team.
York Community High School's men's cross country team has won 28 state championships under coach Joe Newton: 1962, 1965, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1978AA, 1980AA, 1981AA, 1982AA, 1983AA, 1984AA, 1986AA, 1989AA, 1990AA, 1991AA, 1992AA, 1993AA, 1994AA, 1999AA, 2000AA, 2002AA, 2003AA, 2004AA, 2005AA, 2006AA, 2010-3A, and 2012-3A.
- Ken Hudson Campbell is an actor (Armageddon, Herman's Head).
- Lee A. Daniels was an Illinois State Representative (1975–2006), who served as Speaker of the State House (1995–97).
- George J. Eade was a United States Air Force four-star general.
- Bob Eckert is the chief executive officer and chairman of the board for Mattel and also serves as director of McDonald's Corp.
- Mike Farina was an Olympic wrestler, competing at the 1976 Montréal Olympics.
- Robert Goldsborough (1955), murder mystery novelist.
- Ron Guenther is a former athletic director for the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Dan Konopka of the band OK Go went to York in the 1990s. Graduated in 1993
- Trace Gaynor of the a cappella group The Filharmonic, competed on season 4 of NBC's The Sing Off and was featured in Pitch Perfect 2. Graduated in 2010
- Garth Lagerwey, a former professional soccer player who is currently an executive with Real Salt Lake.
- Timothy P. Marshall (1974), civil engineer and meteorologist, tornado expert, pioneering storm chaser
- Betty Okino is an actress and former gymnast. She was a member of the bronze medal-winning gymnastics team at the 1992 Summer Olympics.
- Ken Paulson is the president and chief operating officer of the Freedom Forum, Newseum and Diversity Institute; he is the former editor and senior vice president/news of USA Today and USATODAY.com.
- Gary Rydstrom is a multi-Academy Award winning sound mixer, sound effects editor, and director. His work in sound includes films such as Backdraft, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and Jurassic Park.
- Donald Sage was an All-American cross country and track runner for Stanford University.
- Ian Michael Smith is an American actor, known for his starring role in Simon Birch. Graduated in 2005.
- Tim Stratton was a tight end at Purdue University and was the inaugural winner of the John Mackey Award (2000), presented annually to Division 1A's best tight end.
- Joe Newton has been the boys cross country coach since 1959. He was also the boys track & field coach, having coached state championship teams in both sports. He is a member of the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFSHS) Hall of Fame. He was also an assistant marathon coach at the 1988 Seoul Olympics, being the only high school coach to be invited a spot on the Olympic coaching staff.
- Administrative directory for YCHS; accessed 3 August 2009
- All-staff directory; accessed 3 August 2009
- Class of 2008 Illinois School Report Card; accessed 3 August 2009
- School information for YCHS; ihsa.org; accessed 3 August 2009
- Elmhurst Community Unit School District 205 Quick Facts; accessed 4 August 2009
- Elmhurst school burns with loss of $75,000; Chicago Daily Tribune (1872–1963); 13 December 1917; ProQuest Historical Newspapers Chicago Tribune (1849–1986), ProQuest. Web; accessed 4 August 2009
- "York Community High School Overview".
- YCHS Athletic Scheduling; accessed 4 August 2009
- The Woodlands named top athletic program; espn.com; accessed 30 August 2009
- IHSA Records and History
- Akouris, Tina; York Dukes: Dukes know how to court success (High School of the Week); 21 May 2008; Chicago Sun-Times; accessed 4 August 2009
- Oppenheimer, Jerry; Toy Monster: The Big, Bad World of Mattel; accessed 13 March 2010
- IHSA Announcement - NFHS Hall of Fame To Induct Wheeling’s Dana Miroballi; 30 March 2009; ihsa.com; includes listing of all inductees from Illinois through 2009; accessed 25 July 2009
- York Community High School - Official Site
- Long Green Line - Documentary film about York High School's boys cross country program