York Haven, Pennsylvania
|York Haven, Pennsylvania|
|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||269 ft (82 m)|
|• Density||2,400/sq mi (910/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
York Haven is a borough in York County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 709 at the 2010 census. The borough is the home of the Brunner Island coal-fired electrical generation plant, located on the Susquehanna River on Wago Road and operated by PPL.
York Haven is located at (40.109502, -76.714819).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2), of which 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it, or 5.88%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 809 people, 278 households, and 197 families residing in the borough. The population density was 2,531.8 people per square mile (976.1/km²). There were 305 housing units at an average density of 954.5 per square mile (368.0/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 96.04% White, 0.74% African American, 0.37% Native American, 0.62% Asian, 0.12% from other races, and 2.10% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.24% of the population.
There were 278 households out of which 48.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 48.6% were married couples living together, 14.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.8% were non-families. 23.0% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.91 and the average family size was 3.40.
In the borough the population was spread out with 36.7% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 32.8% from 25 to 44, 15.8% from 45 to 64, and 5.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females there were 99.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.9 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $35,000, and the median income for a family was $32,917. Males had a median income of $29,375 versus $22,031 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $11,676. About 14.7% of families and 15.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.0% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
York Haven is served by the Northeastern York School District (one of 500 public school districts in Pennsylvania). Students may also attend one of the Commonwealth's public cyber charter schools at no additional cost to the family or student. The local school district pays the Pennsylvania Department of Education set tuition fee to the cyber charter school that the resident student chooses to attend. By law, Pennsylvania cyber charter school students have access to all extracurriculars and sports programs at the local public school district. Alternatively, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania permits parents to home school their children or they may attend a private school.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), York Haven borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Charter Schools, 2013