York Memorial Collegiate Institute
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (September 2009)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
|York Memorial Collegiate Institute|
|2690 Eglinton Avenue West
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|School board||Toronto District School Board|
|Area trustee||Chris Tonks|
|Vice principal||Ian Botnick
|School type||Public high school|
|Grades||9 to 12|
|Colours||Red and Gold|
|Enrollment||1059 (Fall 2012)|
York Memorial Collegiate Institute is a public secondary school that is part of the Toronto District School Board in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and is located at 2690 Eglinton Avenue West, at the corner of Eglinton Ave. W. and Trethewey Drive. The school is often referred to as "Memo" by its students.
York Memorial Collegiate Institute opened on January 30, 1930. Over 80% of graduates go on to university or college. Last year 55% of graduates were Ontario Scholars. In addition to a full range of academic courses from grades 9-12, York Memorial offers students specialized programs that include the R.U.S.H. (Road Map to University Success with Honours) and Gifted programs. Students enrolled in these specialized programs are expected to handle a more demanding academic curriculum. York Memorial is leading the way in offering a wide range (13 courses) of Advanced Placement courses in all subject areas and is currently ranked first among all public schools in Ontario. York Memorial AP students students have gone on to prestigious universities around the world, including MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton,Waterloo, Oxford and Cambridge. The York Memorial Mustangs have always been prominent in athletics. Trophies and red and gold banners line the halls of the school and the gym adding to the rich history of the school and community. The Mustangs have traditionally performed well in varsity ice hockey,table tennis, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, soccer, track and field and cross country. The Mustangs share rivalries with their Etobicoke neighbours the Richview Saints (especially in hockey), the Etobicoke Rams and the Scarlett Heights Wolfpack as well as their City of York rivals the Runnymede Ravens, George Harvey Hawks and the Vaughan Road Vipers.
York Memorial has Roadmap to University with Success with Honours (RUSH) and Advanced Placement (AP) programs. The RUSH program is an enrichment program that trains students for the full AP program. AP courses are offered in a wide variety of subjects.
There is also a Pre-Advanced Placement program (10 English, 11 Biology, 11 Physics, 11 Chemistry) which students attend in grades 10 to 11 before taking the AP program in grade 12.
Sean Amodeo - Brain Bee Champ
- Dave Devall - Retired Weatherman
- Harry Sinden - Former Boston Bruin's President
- Paul Hogan - Internationally Renowned Mime / Cooked Pork Chop Juggling World Record Holder
- Gail Kim - WWE Wrestler/Diva and TNA Knockout
- Alan Tonks - Former Canadian Liberal MP
- Samantha Bee - Comedian, Daily Show correspondent
- "York Memorial Collegiate Institute School profile" (PDF). Toronto District School Board. Retrieved 2009-05-29.
- Ouzounian, Richard (October 10, 2009). "Samantha Bee: A Bee-autiful Life". The Star (Toronto).
- School website
- York Memorial Collegiate Institute at TDSB
- Library webpage
- Computer studies at York Memorial
- York Memorial Alumni
- CBC archives: Recording of Runnymede Collegiate Institute versus York Memorial Collegiate on the radio quiz show "I.Q.".
- Our Heritage