York Township, Athens County, Ohio
|York Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Athens County
|• Total||37.3 sq mi (96.7 km2)|
|• Land||36.9 sq mi (95.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||823 ft (251 m)|
|• Density||210/sq mi (81.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085761|
York Township is one of the fourteen townships of Athens County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 7,761 people in the township, 1,811 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Ward Township, Hocking County - north
- Trimble Township - northeast corner
- Dover Township - east
- Athens Township - southeast corner
- Waterloo Township - south
- Brown Township, Vinton County - southwest corner
- Starr Township, Hocking County - west
- Green Township, Hocking County - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The residents of York Township are served by the Nelsonville-York City School District and Nelsonville-York High School.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): York township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.