York Township, Van Wert County, Ohio
|York Township, Ohio|
|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.4 km2)|
|• Land||36.5 sq mi (94.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||810 ft (247 m)|
|• Density||21.6/sq mi (8.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1087098|
York Township is one of the twelve townships of Van Wert County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 788 people in the township, 650 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Ridge Township - north
- Washington Township - northeast corner
- Jennings Township - east
- Union Township, Mercer County - south
- Dublin Township, Mercer County - southwest corner
- Liberty Township - west
- Pleasant Township - northwest corner
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Van Wert County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.