York University (TTC)
Construction underway on campus, summer 2011
|Address||Keele Campus (York University)
|Opened||Expected completion in 2016|
|Station status||Under construction|
York University is a subway station under construction on the extension of the Yonge–University–Spadina line in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. When built, it will be located on the grounds of York University’s main Keele campus, near Ian Macdonald and York Boulevards, and it's expected to open in the autumn of 2016. The main entrance will be located within the university common.
More than 1,400 TTC buses serve the campus every weekday at the York University Bus Loop, in addition to hundreds more spread across other services including Go Transit, York Region Transit/Viva, Brampton Transit and Greyhound. The development of a subway station will greatly reduce the number of buses entering campus by effectively eliminating the 196 York University Rocket bus route, and will serve to greatly improve public transit access to the university and surrounding area.
The official ground breaking ceremony for the Spadina Extension was held on 27 November 2009, however tunneling operations did not commence until June 2011. The project is expected to be completed by the autumn of 2016.
The first stage of construction for the station began in May 2011. On October 11, 2011, one worker was killed and five others injured when a drilling rig working on the station site collapsed.
- "Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension Project - York University Station - Approval of Conceptual Design" (PDF). Toronto Transit Commission. 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2010-09-16.
- "Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension breaks ground". Railway Gazette. 30 November 2009. Retrieved January 2013.
- "Tunnel boring for Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension begins". Toronto Transit Commission. 17 June 2011. Retrieved January 2013.
- "Schedule Status Update". Toronto-York Spadina Subway Extension Project. Toronto Transit Commission. 24 October 2012. Retrieved January 2013.
- Scallan, Niamh; Raveena Aulakh (11 October 2011). "Workers were trapped in their machines in deadly accident at TTC site". Toronto Star. Retrieved 12 October 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to York University (TTC).|